newby help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) Processor 2.7 GHZ Intel Core I5 Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
I have returned to the Mac scene after 15 years. Please excuse my ignorance. While similar questions have been asked I am not finding one with my exact same characteristics.

I bought a refurbished iMac. It has 2 Thunderbolt ports. I am trying to hook up a second monitor - VGA.

I've changed the mouse batteries and turned the mouse off and back on.

iMac on, second monitor turned off. I plug the adapter into the Thunderbolt port, then I turn the second monitor on. After I have it hooked up I lose my iMac monitor, then the extra monitor flashes on then screen becomes and remains black. When the iMac comes back on I have no control over my mouse.

I have 2 monitors from my PC. I've tried both. Ive changed VGA cords.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Debbie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First…a better thread title would be a great idea! "Newby help" really does not describe the problem at all.

As far as the monitor situation. I would hook everything up…and have the external monitor powered on before turning on the iMac.

I'm personally not a big fan of VGA as far as second computer monitors go. VGA is REALLY old technology…and is probably the poorest choice for video quality. If these monitors you have are flat panel monitors…and have multiple video inputs (possibly a combination of VGA, DVI, and or HDMI)…choose one of the other inputs than VGA. :)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.