newbie usb for G3 question

P

pathogen

Hi, my first post here. I am not a mac user, but have one in the lab where I work along with a pc. My boss wants to upgrade our lab printer, and doesnt want to spend the money on a network enabled printer, and has a specific model (brother HL1435) in mind that has a parallel port and a usb port.

The problem:
Both the PC and G3 must connect to the printer directly, and the G3 only has a legacy port, but no usb, while the PC can connect via usb or parallel. I thought the best solution was to buy a $10 pci usb card and plug it into the G3, and connect to the printer directly through the usb port. (the printer is compatible with the mac os, and has the drivers needed for mac usb).

G3 specs: The cpu is beige, and the OS installed is 9.2, i'm not sure on most of the other specs, and I'm pretty sure it has an open pci slot. Is this the best way to go around the problem? Our IT guys recommended we get a network enabled printer, which is about $100 more. Are there legacy port to usb adapters? are they more than usb cards?
Thanks in advance for your response

OP
G

ggduell

Did you find an answer to this?

I see that noboby answered your post.
I have the same issue and wondered have you solved it and how?

Thanks!

pathogen said:
Hi, my first post here. I am not a mac user, but have one in the lab where I work along with a pc. My boss wants to upgrade our lab printer, and doesnt want to spend the money on a network enabled printer, and has a specific model (brother HL1435) in mind that has a parallel port and a usb port.

The problem:
Both the PC and G3 must connect to the printer directly, and the G3 only has a legacy port, but no usb, while the PC can connect via usb or parallel. I thought the best solution was to buy a $10 pci usb card and plug it into the G3, and connect to the printer directly through the usb port. (the printer is compatible with the mac os, and has the drivers needed for mac usb).

G3 specs: The cpu is beige, and the OS installed is 9.2, i'm not sure on most of the other specs, and I'm pretty sure it has an open pci slot. Is this the best way to go around the problem? Our IT guys recommended we get a network enabled printer, which is about $100 more. Are there legacy port to usb adapters? are they more than usb cards?
Thanks in advance for your response

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
im bout 99% positive that you can't connect two computers at once to one printer using the different ports.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.