Newbie to macs.. can someone answer some general ?s

Reaction score
I just got a new Macbook Pro. I am curious how I can get "icons" on my desktop. Such as the weather channel, youtube, Facebook.. etc. they won't even show up in the app store!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you trying to open applications or the web pages for Facebook, You Tube etc.?

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm trying to download apps to have on my dock or on the screen so I can just click and have them open up. Sort of like on my iPhone. Just have Icons and such on my desktop and running weather

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. That's easy enough to do. What I am about to suggest assumes that the application has been properly installed. The first three posts in this sticky on installing software should help with that if you are not sure about it.

Now that you have the program installed find the icon you normally click to launch it. Drag that icon to the Desktop.

If you want the icon in the Dock launch the program then go to the Dock. Right click the program icon. Under "Options" is a setting called "Keep In Dock" Choose that. This is similar to the "pinning" procedure in Windows where a shortcut is placed in the Taskbar.

OP
M
Reaction score
I understand the drag and drop thing. I just can't find where to download the stuff. Like a weather channel app that shows the temp etc. It seems its all for Windows

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
M
Reaction score
Is there a way to put the widget on my desktop instead of just that one screen F4?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a way to put the widget on my desktop instead of just that one screen F4?

I don't think so...that's why it's a widget.:) Maybe try some of the other weather apps (free or purchase) in the links if you want something on your desktop.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help. Weird that the weather channel and Facebook do not have an actual desktop app for mac. Also what's the big fuss about resolution? Should I just keep it at "best for retina"? I see people are downloading other apps to change it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also what's the big fuss about resolution? Should I just keep it at "best for retina"? I see people are downloading other apps to change it.

Yes, keep it best for retina unless your eyes can't adjust to the smaller icons and writing.

Reaction score
actually there are alternatives.

search using these parameters in google.

1. alternative facebook app for mac os x

2. alternative espn app for mac os x

actually try this

https://www.trillian.im (Facebook Alternative app works with Facebook and twitter)

ESPN Player Online Help (as for espy you are kinda stuck with the online player sorry)

C

chas_m

I think what the OP is *actually* asking is why the Mac and its applications can't be laid out like iOS. This is specifically the need for which Launchpad was developed.

Machina 12, check the Mac App Store for options like what you are looking for.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.