Newbie Parrallels Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It must be a non-branded OEM CD (for system builders) and it must have SP2 integrated (AKA slipstreamed) into the disc. Restore CDs from major PC manufacturers like Dell/Gateway/Acer/Compaq/HP will not work. It must have the Microsoft/Windows holographic logo on it or be a burnt copy of one with SP2 integrated. Also, it can not have been installed on any other machine in order to activate.

Actually, I believe only Boot Camp has the SP2 requirement. You can technically install any x86 operating system via Parallels

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Actually, I believe only Boot Camp has the SP2 requirement. You can technically install any x86 operating system via Parallels

You're right - my bad. I guess I got carried away since I've answered that question a time or two now :)

OP
E
Reaction score
I got windows installed and all set up. I was trying to get the Delete button to work under windows and I went to USB>Apple Keyboard and it installed it and etc.. Now under windows I don't have a keyboard or mouse. How do I get the keyboard/mouse back?

That won't mess up the keyboard/mouse under Mac will it? I am guessing not since I am using it.

(least I haven't screwed up the Mac OS yet and hopefully I don't)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I'll check it out and see if it's free or if I have to buy it.

If it turns out that you have to pay for it, then there are some wonderful free antivirus options available. There's absolutely no reason to pay for an antivirus program.

I suggest checking out AVG and Avast! There are one or two others, but I don't know their names off the top of my head.
I just downloaded it yesterday and it is free. The license expires in April 2008. So, it sounds like a 6 month free trial.

Anything in your Parallels Shared Folder is accessible by Windows. That means that if you catch a virus that wants to start deleting files, Windows (through Parallels) will be able to delete anything in your Shared Folder.

There are two things you can do to protect yourself.

1. Don't put anything in your Shared Folder that you're afraid to lose. For the record, I violate this because my entire /documents folder is part of my Parallels Shared Folder

2. Don't use your Parallels installation to web browse or open emails or run any programs that you think might possibly infect you with a virus. Right now, I use Parallels for exactly one thing: accessing my employer's ActiveX-based webmail.

edited to add:

A lot of this also depends on which drag-and-drop settings you're using. I have global/local drag-and-drop options disabled. So if I drag a file from OS X to Windows/Parallels, it just appears on the Windows desktop as a copy. Windows/Parallels still can't actually write, delete, or otherwise manipulate the original file.

And after I typed this post, I went into Parallels and changed my Shared Folder so it no longer has access to my entire /documents file. That was just dumb. :ninja:
I just installed Parallels with Windows XP Pro SP2 and plan also only on using the windows to access our activeX security system. I will not use it for any other browsing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.