Newbie: MBP 15 inch or 13 inch

Reaction score
I noticed the slight upgrade to the models and am ready to buy. Internet use, word, excel, videos, light gaming and, perhaps, other. I would prefer the 15 inch for the 6750 card (perhaps some light gaming) as well as screen size. But the 13 inch seems more portable. As importantly, it's cheaper. (About $1,195 vs $1,795.) I don't know why the 15 inch would be much faster than the 13 inch for my planned uses and imagine I'm primarily paying 50% more for the 6750 card and a modestly bigger chassis/screen.

I suspect I might be missing something about the 15 inch that is better --- possible gaming (of course), a longer time before becoming obsolete (maybe?), a nicer experience (larger, perhaps nicer, screen), quieter running, less hot, longer average life span, better connectivity or ???

Could the 15 inch ($1,799) be used as a desktop replacement --- especially if a bigger screen is used?

Thanks!:Mischievous:

Reaction score
A very nice aspect of the 15 inch is the Quad-Core processor.

13 inch has a Dual-Core.

So for "future-proofing" the 15" places you in a better position. That being said, both machines are great and the 13" is still a very capable machine.

-bentharbour

Reaction score
The upgraders rule of thumb is get the best you can afford, that's as much as you can do in the futureproofing game.

I thought this quote when looking for a new Mac sums it up for me. Thanks mrplow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
For my money

and it is my money, the 15" is the better tool. Processor, screen size are the reasons.

When I want little I carry my MacBook Air 11"

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks all...

I want the 15 inch (lower end, even better w/hi-res matte screen) but the price difference is higher than expected.

I guess the speed and screen size might make it worthwhile if I use for at least 3 years or so.

Does the 15 inch tend to stay quiet and cool? Tx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Fall MBP 13" 2.8Ghz Dual-Core i7. 8gb RAM. 256gb SSD. --- iPhone 4 16GB.--- 120gb iPod Classic.
I am being a tad biased since i have a 13". but i use my system for the same purposes as you do, my 13" works perfect, if you can afford it, it may not be a bad idea to upgrade the ram to 8gb in case you want to game a bit harder. also to boost my computers efficiency/speed, i went with a SSD, you could do a 128gb ssd and get a External drive for pictures, movies and music.... just an idea. all that would run you around $1,669.00...(ED discount)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.