Newbie here...

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
I cannot help very much as I have never been able to get it to work myself, but from your screenshots it seems that your Photos.app does not like the .HEIC file format, And does not know how to cope with them.

EDIT:
I hate to include a link for Mac help from mackeeper, but they do seem to have a good explanation and solution:
3 Ways to Convert HEIC Files to JPGs Format on a Mac

- Patrick
=======

Thanks Patrick,
I believe the correct term is JOB SECURITY.
My workaround is to send them to mail and open them in preview. Then export as a jpeg.

Hope springs eternal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can set the iPhone camera not to use the HEIC format, if you want. Open Settings/Camera and Formats, select "Most Compatible" and the images won't be HEIC, but JPG. You will lose some features of HEIC, but at least you won't have to jump through hoops to do a simple transfer.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
Thanks Jake,

I'll look for that on the iPad and report back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You will lose some features of HEIC, but at least you won't have to jump through hoops to do a simple transfer.

When checking about the HEIC format, I thought this comment was a bit odd and wondered where Apple's support was:
The Bottom Line
Although Macs are developed by the same company that introduced the HEIC format, these machines do not have support for the new image format by default. Our guide above should help you learn how to open HEIC files on your Mac by either adding support for the new file format or providing alternate ways.

Hmmm...??? Seems a bit odd. Develop a format and then almost hide any access to use it.??? 😔

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When checking about the HEIC format, I thought this comment was a bit odd and wondered where Apple's support was:

Hmmm...??? Seems a bit odd. Develop a format and then almost hide any access to use it.??? 😔

- Patrick
=======
Did you read the article you linked? Even the gave the reason for the new format:
The reason the company chose HEIC as the default image format is that it uses much lesser space than the JPG format when storing your image files.

Apple isn't hiding access to it, you can see HEIC images in Photos, edit them there, share them between devices, etc. You just have to have a more recent version of the OS and software to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple isn't hiding access to it, you can see HEIC images in Photos, edit them there, share them between devices, etc. You just have to have a more recent version of the OS and software to do so.

It's interesting that there seems to be a variation in the actual file format abbreviation name used:
Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices
Upgrade to iOS 11 or later or macOS High Sierra or later to view, edit, or duplicate HEIF or HEVC media captured with an iOS device.

iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra introduced support for these new, industry-standard media formats:

HEIF (High Efficiency Image File Format) for photos
HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding), also known as H.265, for videos
HEIF and HEVC offer better compression than JPEG and H.264, so they use less storage space on your devices and iCloud Photos, while preserving the same visual quality.

Capturing this media
When using iOS 11 or later, the following devices can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format. Other devices can view, edit, or duplicate this media with limitations, if using iOS 11 or later or macOS High Sierra or later.

iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus or later
iPad (6th generation) or later
iPad Air (3rd generation) or later
iPad mini (5th generation)
iPad Pro (10.5 inch), iPad Pro (11 inch), and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) or later

Amazing how much smaller things can get squished and yet still preserving the same visual quality as JPEG and H.264. The eyes will never know I guess. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HEIC is for a single image. HEIF is for a Live photo, the kind with 1.5 seconds of motions recorded and HEVC is for video made on the device. That last is stored as a .mov file in Photos, but the internal format is HEVC.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's interesting that there seems to be a variation in the actual file format abbreviation name used:

Amazing how much smaller things can get squished and yet still preserving the same visual quality as JPEG and H.264. The eyes will never know I guess. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Thanks Patrick. I'll give them a try.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HEIC is for a single image. HEIF is for a Live photo, the kind with 1.5 seconds of motions recorded and HEVC is for video made on the device. That last is stored as a .mov file in Photos, but the internal format is HEVC.

Thanks to you also, Jake.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
AirDrop has a habit of being frustrating I'm sad to say. I assume Faqua, that you are syncing your Contacts via iCloud. It's a default setting so if you are signed into iCloud on all your devices your name card should be the same on all.
If it is with someone else's device then enter the details for that user into your Contacts app in the same way it appears in their Contacts app.
Below is an illustration of what I see when I open a finder window and click on AirDrop in the sidebar.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.32.10 am.png

The little arrow down symbol allows you to cycle through "No one," "Contacts Only," and "Everyone". So, you can return it to No One after you share your photos. Just drag them to the other device on the screen (above) eg. iPhone, iPad.
You will then need to accept the photos on the device in question.
The receiving device needs to be unlocked.
You must have Bluetooth switched on in all devices and they must all be using the same WiFi network.
Preferably they should all be using the latest Operating System.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AirDrop has a habit of being frustrating I'm sad to say. I assume Faqua, that you are syncing your Contacts via iCloud. It's a default setting so if you are signed into iCloud on all your devices your name card should be the same on all.
If it is with someone else's device then enter the details for that user into your Contacts app in the same way it appears in their Contacts app.
Below is an illustration of what I see when I open a finder window and click on AirDrop in the sidebar.

View attachment 34341

The little arrow down symbol allows you to cycle through "No one," "Contacts Only," and "Everyone". So, you can return it to No One after you share your photos. Just drag them to the other device on the screen (above) eg. iPhone, iPad.
You will then need to accept the photos on the device in question.
The receiving device needs to be unlocked.
You must have Bluetooth switched on in all devices and they must all be using the same WiFi network.
Preferably they should all be using the latest Operating System.

Thanks Rod,

Was not aware about iCloud and its connections with airdrop. I also have not upgraded my OS because I use older Adobe editing software and am afraid it will not work on newer OS. The software is Adobe After Effects CS4. If any others on this forum know if this will operate on a newer platform I would appreciate the information. Also information regarding iCloud and how it could help with airdrop.

Faqua

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The software is Adobe After Effects CS4. If any others on this forum know if this will operate on a newer platform I would appreciate the information.

Have a look through some of these hits which lists the OS compatibility:
is Adobe After Effects CS4 mac os compatible

and also check the user feedback site:

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Have a quick look in the Apple menu on your tool bar, select Preferences and in your case click on your Apple ID top of the window to the right.
You should then see a window with Apps on this Mac using iCloud. If you scroll though them you should see Contacts as one of the apps which store their data in iCloud. So, if your other devices are signed in the same way they should all share the same data and sync. This is only important in regards to having your contact info on all of your devices. If it's in one, it should be in all of the others.
I think your OS also shows your other devices in a column on the left. If you don't see your iPad then it is not signed ito the same account.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a quick look in the Apple menu on your tool bar, select Preferences and in your case click on your Apple ID top of the window to the right.
You should then see a window with Apps on this Mac using iCloud. If you scroll though them you should see Contacts as one of the apps which store their data in iCloud. So, if your other devices are signed in the same way they should all share the same data and sync. This is only important in regards to having your contact info on all of your devices. If it's in one, it should be in all of the others.
I think your OS also shows your other devices in a column on the left. If you don't see your iPad then it is not signed ito the same account.

Thanks.
I guess this is what you're referring to:? Does this mean I'm signed in??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 4.59.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 4.59.46 PM.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 4.58.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 4.58.56 PM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 10

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I certainly does. Don't forget about the Bluetooth necessity. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Hope this is the place where answers lie to all my mac questions. Too many to count.

First: Which forum is best to find out how/why airdrop is so confusing to this old man (OM) when trying to communicate between the mac mini and iPad 6th gen. Apple forums haven't been much help so far...
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum, the most helpful & friendly forum on the web. They have helped with my Mac and personal problems, a great bunch of guys and gals.Thanks everyone.

Mac user since 1992, first Mac LC III 2 MB Ram and 160MB Hard Drive. I'm 81 next birthday, and still learning. Good Luck.

Jim, South Lake District, England, UK 🇬🇧 loves 🇱🇷

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to the forum, the most helpful & friendly forum on the web. They have helped with my Mac and personal problems, a great bunch of guys and gals.Thanks everyone.

Mac user since 1992, first Mac LC III 2 MB Ram and 160MB Hard Drive. I'm 81 next birthday, and still learning. Good Luck.

Jim, South Lake District, England, UK 🇬🇧 loves 🇱🇷

Thanks Jim, Hope you have a 'jolly good birthday'!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.