New Wireless Router

Reaction score
I'm currently using a Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster. I have noticed that recently the signal is fluctuating. Additionally, every so often I have to power down and power back up to get the signal working....

At any rate, I know there are posts in here somewhere but there were too many to browse through on this subject.

Question: this is a home network used for gaming (xbox 360), my macbook pro and my son's PC upstairs. What does everyone recommend as far as wireless routers go... and I'm assuming since I'm about to buy a new router, I might want to think about a new cable modem as well. I'm certain there are combination router/modems out there and would love to hear any input on such devices as well.

Appreciate the input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally have the Linksys WRT54GL and it works amazingly well. I have the following connected to it: an Xbox 360 and two PCs via Ethernet, and via wireless I have two Macbooks, a desktop PC, two PC laptops, and my Nintendo Wii.

My router handles all of the above devices without a problem. :D

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
That's actually what I have now... it's just not consistent. I've had it for a few years I think... anyway... what's the deal with wireless N? There's a wireless N Gigabit Gaming Router I'm looking at.... I think I'm going to get it but I'm not sure what cable modem to get with it (or if it has one built in)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem with wireless N is that unless every device that connects to the router has wireless N, you won't notice any significant benefits.

You sure you're using the WRT54GL? It's the one with Linux firmware. The regular WRT54G sucks unless you have one of the earliest models.

Linksys makes some great products. If you're having problems with your Linksys router, then try fixing it before replacing it. Have you updated the firmware? That often can solve some problems people are having

If you're still dead set on replacing your router, take a look at Dlink, but stay away from Netgear

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Kash, thanks for the advice... upgraded the firmware and all seems to be running smoothly now. Although I tried to do it wirelessly and remembered I needed to jack directly into the router. Anyway thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I almost did that myself once. :p

Glad to be of assistance :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.