New TV (connecting to network)

Reaction score
I have just bought a new tv and trying to set it up it asks for my encryption key could someone explain what this is please, tried putting in my p/w for a virgin but when I finished entering there is no key to say done or finish. I am beginning to think that at my age I should have stuck to my old tv there are 3 ports for HDMI does it matter which one I use. any help would be most grateful.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure what would be asking for an encryption key, Were you at a stage where it was asking yo join your wireless network?

It might be helpful to know the make and model of TV.

Generally speaking, it doesn't matter which HDNI port is used but there is one exception to this. Most newer sets have at least one HDMI port that communicates both ways with whatever is connected to it. Turning on the TV will turn on whatever device is connected to it if the device supports that option. It's commonly used to turn on something such as a speaker.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks slydude, yes I am at the stage where I am trying to set the tv up for the first time and join my virgin media this is when it asks for my encryption key, the tv is a Panasonic TX-40JX870

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It is probably looking for the password, or key, to your wireless network. Virgin Media would have provided that to you for any devices you wanted to attach to their equipment. May even be on a label somewhere on the router from VM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area (Internet, Networking, and Wireless).

Thanks,

Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I have tried putting my virgin p/w in but there is nothing on the virtual keyboard to say done ,finished or next I am just stuck there.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1. Check the manual and see if a password is mentioned
2. Describe what you are trying to connect to what
3. Describe all the services that are in play
4. Take screenshots so that we can see what you see.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have tried putting my virgin p/w in but there is nothing on the virtual keyboard to say done ,finished or next I am just stuck there.
Have you changed your network password from the original Virgin password? If so, you'll need to use the new password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Your virgin password or your virgin home network password? They will be different (or should be).

Did you check the Panasonic website?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think it may indeed require an encryption key to access the data on the Virgin home network device. I would contact Virgin and ask them what this key is and where it can be found.

Reaction score
Hi
I am with sky and my network code is on
My router so I would look there
Neil

OP
R
Reaction score
I have put my p/w in and moved forward but still cannot connect to internet, I have an hdmi cable connected from my virgin box but when I look at the connections on the tv it shows tv connected to the virgin box but not to the internet. I have two signal boosters from virgin that plug into mains and ethernet cable from router to signal booster and an ethernet cable from signal booster in my lounge should this be connected to my tv to get on the internet with my TV set up to wired. Sorry if this question sounds stupid but at my age am not very savvy in setting things up, actually if I had known about this palaver I wouldn't have bought the tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, a couple of things. The HDMI does NOT connect you to the internet. It only conveys the video and audio signals from the virgin box to the TV. The Ethernet should connect you to the Internet. So you need to connect the Ethernet from the Virgin box to the booster, then from the booster in the lounge to the TV. At that point you will then need to log into your local network with the password for the network, probably the one on the label on the Virgin box. That should then connect the TV to the Internet.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Macinwin I have an arial plugged in to the tv should I unplug this or does it make no difference in all the settings there is something called ipv6 does this need to be enabled. Y ou have given me more information that the so called manual has, all I need now is try to get back to internet set up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I presume your Virgin box provides the television content. I have no idea if you need the arial or not. It being there should not impact the ethernet connection. IPV6 is an addressing scheme for the internet, I don't think it needs to be enabled, unless the Virgin box is using it (unlikely).

Think of it this way. Outside your house the cable is ready to provide tv video and audio, as well as connectivity to the internet for data. But it is on a line that is being shared by hundreds, maybe thousands, of other users in your area. So the Virgin box sorts out those thousands of possible signals for the one for YOU. You tell the Virgin box you want, let's say, BBC1, and it sifts the signals from outside to find BBC1 and translate the digital signals there to audio and video that it then feeds across the HDMI cable to the TV so you can see and hear BBC1 when you select the HDMI input on the TV.

In the same way, that Virgin cable has internet traffic to and from that same hundreds/thousands of users, all interlaced. Your Virgin box has a specific numeric address, called the IP number (IP = Internet Protocol). IPV6 is version 6 of the IP address scheme and was adopted because the previous version, IPV4, had run out of numbers. IPV6 has a potential for 3.4×10 raised to the 38th power, or 3,400 followed by 35 more zeroes. So the Virgin box has an address in the Internet with that IPV6 number. Inside your house, the Virgin box becomes your network administration box, and it issues an address to each of your devices that attach to the network. Typically that internal IP number is the old IPv4 format, where it is in the form of x.x.x.x, where each "x" is a number between 0 and 255. However, the generally agreed format is that your network will have numbers in the form either 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x. For example, right now my MBP has an assigned IP number of 192.168.1.64, assigned to it by my own version of the Virgin box. The Virgin box keeps a table of numbers it has assigned and when it sees traffic either from the devices, wraps it in an envelop with an appropriate IPV6 format and sends it out into the Internet, and when it gets a response, it opens the envelop and sends the data to the appropriate internal IVP4 address. Imagine internet as a postal system that takes your outgoing mail, puts it in a big envelope and sends to the world at large. The central post office then directs the articles in the envelop to the right destinations. Then when mail arrives for you at the post office, it's bundled in an envelope to your address and it gets directed to your house where it is delivered for you to read. The Virgin box is the postal service in that scenario. It translate the outside data to your internal network so you can see what you want on your computer/TV/whatever is connected to the Virgin box.

So, what I think is that you should just leave the defaults on the TV as they came, then connect the Ethernet and see if the TV connects. It should. You may have to give the access code to the network (should be on the Virgin box) so that the Virgin box knows this is an authorized device, but once that is done, you should have Internet access on the TV in addition to the TV signals from Virgin.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks again Macinwin very helpful, not looking for encrypt key but thanks anyway BirgerMunthe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
rayben, The Virgin Hub3 router, on the bottom it's the WI-Fi Password you are looking for. Allows TV to wirelessly connect to router and have internet access. If the TV and router are close by, you can use the ethernet lead to connect the devices together. Re the aerial connection, that was for the old terrestrial signals and no longer in use. There with be a few digital channels but you will receive them and more via the Virgin service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Suggest you take a digital pic of your router PW, etc on the bottom of router for later reference

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.