New to the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
File Extensions

I'm new to the Mac, and I have NO clue what all the different file types mean and how to use them......I looked at some apps I wanted to download and I have no clue what to do with them!!!!!

(Can someone explain the difference between the most common ones and explain what to do with them, because I am used to the Windows file types)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
ApplejustWorks said:
I'm new to the Mac, and I have NO clue what all the different file types mean and how to use them......I looked at some apps I wanted to download and I have no clue what to do with them!!!!!

(Can someone explain the difference between the most common ones and explain what to do with them, because I am used to the Windows file types)

Filetypes are pretty standard across all OS's, which ones in particular are you having problems with?

Downloading Apps usually just results in them sitting on the desktop or in a filer window, just drag them to wherever you want them to live and run them from there, i.e create a folder for games and just drag them into it. If you have multiple users put the folders in the users/shared folder as all users can access it.

Amen-Moses

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
im having trouble with the file types that are from downloaded apps from the web(ie. stuffit, there are two different formats, i dont know which one you use and I don't know the difference)

S

StarManta

They should behave the same way.... more or less you should be able to just double-click on the file and let the OS tke care of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.