• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New to making movies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Hey.

I got my Macbook on Monday. I got the Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz 1GB Ram etc etc....

Moving on, i've started to work with the imovie hd to make films which i want to do. I have a few questions about the software.

Whats the main difference between imovie hd and idvd (I havn't used idvd).
What does the .dv format mean. Is it for HD as i notice when i save a movie i have made, it takes up a lot of space (gb's).

Also, can you download more themes and affects for imovie hd as there isn't a huge deal of themes and effects etc etc ....

Also, whats other programmes that are similar to imovie hd or better that would be good to look into.

Also, whats a good photo editing software programme for Mac as i noticed it didn't come with anything that can be used to edit pictures.

Thanks.

P.S This was my first Mac and i must say, so far, it's beating Windows by a lot. It's hard to explain why Mac is better, but as the saying goes ''It just works''. It's hard when i use a Mac at home all week and have to go to school and use PC's all day. I'm like *** get some Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I'll try to answer these as you asked them:

1. iMovie edits the video - iDVD is used to make the DVD menu and burn the video to DVD.

2. .DV is an uncompressed audio and video stream that can be played with Quicktime. It's only HD if the source is HD. I'm guessing not in your case. As for the file size, welcome to digital video...even standard definition video (uncompressed) is around 300MB per minute.

3. I'm sure you can find some themes on the net somewhere (try Google), but I've never seen any.

4. Final Cut Express is much more powerful than iMovie, but has a decently steep learning curve as well.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use imovie.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't recall iMovie having themes. I know there are some iMovie effect plug-ins, but most I have seen are either demos or commercial.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean like the starup bits you can do with the different affects etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.