new to macs, just bought macbook pro

Reaction score
hi, just got my first mac pc, a macbook pro. been a windows user for many years, wanted to try a mac.
i need to install some software that isnt mac compatible, so need to use bootcsamp i believe.
im having trouble creating an iso disc. im unsure what ineed to do to create this, and got to the pint in bootcamp where it is asking for it.
I have a desktop running win 7, a external hard drive to use, and n external optical drive to use.
where do i begin?
thankyou

Reaction score
You need to connect your external optical and put a retail install disk for Windows in it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

If the Windows software you need is not heavy duty (like gaming), you can use virtualization to keep from having to boot into Windows then back into MacOS. This works well for me: https://www.virtualbox.org

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
so even though i have a copy of preinstalled windows 7 that i got when i bought my desktop i need to buy another copy of windows to use it via bootcamp? I've seen examples of where people have created a iso disk from a pc running windows, on some pages I've visited. or am i getting completely the wrong end of the stick?

Reaction score
sixcylinder, because you are installing a new copy of windows on dissimilar hardware then your old computer, it would be best to use a new DVD. If you own a copy of Windows, you can download a trial copy and authenticate it with your product key. However, I would recommend buying VMware Fusion and just virtualizing your current windows computer. It is a pretty simple process and would give you the functionality of both mac os x and your current windows OS.

VMware KB: Converting a physical machine for Fusion, Workstation, or Player using Converter Standalone

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, if you purchased a new MacBook Pro (not a new to you used machine) it did not come with an optical drive. Which means you can install Windows via a USB flash drive as a bootable ISO in lieu of a bootable DVD.

Also, I'm sure you're familiar with the Microsoft EULA about Windows. You will need a new unregistered copy that can be activated. And that's if you install directly using the Boot Camp assistant or from a virtual machine as indicated by the previous post. You can not legally use the copy that came on your PC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First, if you purchased a new MacBook Pro (not a new to you used machine) it did not come with an optical drive.

Unless it's that silly low-end Mid-2012 (almost 2.5 year-old) 13" MacBook Pro Apple is still selling.;)

Definitely an "odd-ball" in the current Apple MacBook Pro lineup.;) Which I think that Apple is going to get rid of/discontinue soon.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Definitely an "odd-ball" in the current Apple MacBook Pro lineup. Which I think that Apple is going to get rid of/discontinue soon.

The guys at the Apple store say it's still a hot item and sells well which is why Apple continues to stock it. The fact that it's the only real upgradeable MacBook Pro still left in the lineup is probably why it's still so popular.

Reaction score
chscag he says in his first post he has a external optical drive.

So on with the issue. Do you own a copy of windows? When i say that i mean did you buy a copy and install it or did you buy a computer that came with a full copy?

When you buy a HP, Dell, or whatever they usually don't sell you a full copy that you own to take where ever you want. Upgrades don't count either. if you have a legit copy you own that you are no longer going to use. Which means you can not have it on two computers at once. Then you can call Microsoft and ask them for a key that goes with the windows you purchased earlier.

like was said before a ISO isn't gonna slice it. you can make a ISO of the recovery partition of the desktop you currently own but that isn't gonna cut it. Like was said before download a copy from Microsoft and once you have a legal key you can then go ahead with installing it Boot camp, Fusion, or VMware. I prefer Boot camp. you can't switch on the fly but if you decide to play a windows game Boot camp makes use of total resources of your current hardware.

Reaction score
ok question please before this discussion gets over filled with bad ideas and stuff

what exactly are you trying to run do any of the applications require internet access

if they don't you can use wineskin it will convert your windows apps to mac apps for free

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if they don't you can use wineskin it will convert your windows apps to mac apps for free

First, Wineskin, Winebottler, Wine, etc, do not convert Windows apps to Mac apps. They all run the Windows app in an enclosed environment using Windows components. Second, none of the Wine derivatives will run all Windows apps. They can only run a small limited number. CrossOver does much better but it's not free.

Reaction score
The guys at the Apple store say it's still a hot item and sells well which is why Apple continues to stock it. The fact that it's the only real upgradeable MacBook Pro still left in the lineup is probably why it's still so popular.

My local Apple retailer only had 6 left. Said they werent going to be getting any more of them.

So I bought 2.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Here's a better question: since you are new to the Mac, how do you know for a fact that you need Windows? Isn't it possible, indeed likely, if there is a Mac alternative to the Windows software you need?

Apart from someone who is deep into Quicken, I usually encourage new Mac owners to spend a little time, get used to the Mac way of doing things, and see if there's an alternative to their old Windows program. We have solitaire! :)

90+ percent of the time, I find that this approach results in no need to spend more money on a new copy of Windows, or install a potentially-expensive Windows program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.