New to Mac

Reaction score
I just ordered a 21.5" iMac. My consern is that I have 2 external hard drive and I don't know if they will be compatable with my new iMac. I have heard that I will have to reformat them to either Fat32 or Mac Os extended. Help... What should I do? I also want them to be able to be read on my PC too. Any help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

FAT 32 will be compatible with both Mac and Win OS.

You don't need to use MacOS extended (also called 'journaled') unless you wish to use an external as a boot disk - which could be good idea with one of them.

If you've used your two externals as USB only, you might want to consider upgrading to a firewire 400/800 external enclosure. Much faster, especially with Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

FAT 32 will be compatible with both Mac and Win OS.

You don't need to use MacOS extended (also called 'journaled') unless you wish to use an external as a boot disk - which could be good idea with one of them.

If you've used your two externals as USB only, you might want to consider upgrading to a firewire 400/800 external enclosure. Much faster, especially with Mac.

Upgrade to another harddrive?
So, I don't really need MacOS extended?
Why would I need to book from my external?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No, upgrade to a new HD external enclosure, with firewire connection, or combo USB/FW; you can retain the present drives. An example can be found here EZQuest Pro Audio FireWire 800 / USB 2.0 HD Enc... (N52300) at OWC (that's a great deal!).

As said "If you've used your two externals as USB only", which is the usual situation with WinOS machines, you'll find that Mac is not as kind with USB as you're used to. Firewire on the other hand is smooth - and fast. Especially FW 800.

Again, as said, you don't need MacOS extended unless you wish to boot from an external drive. If I were you, I'd format one of those two external HD as MacOS+, so you can use it as a backup, or emergency boot disk. That, I hope, answers your last question. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you very much! This clears things up a lot for me... I just ordered my iMac. I should receive it soon...:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.