• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New to Mac..Can you feel the Burn?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the mac life, and I have to say I love it. I bought my mac book pro for recording with pro tools, but of course I want to do more. I am really interested in the ability to rip DVD's. I love movies and have a pretty good collection, but I just get sic of taking the movies with me out on the road and they get destroyed or lost. What do you recomend to help me get this going? I was pointed in the direction of Mac the Ripper, but not sure where to even get it, the website never pulls up. Well hope to hear from those wiser than myself. Thanks.

Roy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You may also want to take a look at Handbrake if you want to rip your DVDs to a smaller size to just watch on your laptop.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed on Handbrake. Excellent tool and the files are a lot smaller!

OP
P
Reaction score
Sounds good. As for smaller files I think that might come in handy. From what I've found out some DVD's are double layered and Being able to shrink them will come in handy. Appreciate the insight I'm still new to this awesome world of mac. Peace

OP
P
Reaction score
*** am i doing

I have to be doing something wrong. I just want to rip a dvd then back it up as a copy. i have mac the ripper, I have toast, I have media fork, and popcorn, but some how I can not make it work. I have no idea how to compress the files so i actually bought 8.5 GB dvdr's. What step am I missing? Here is what I am doing

Ripping to mtr
then attempting to put that file on toast and burn the disc, but some of the files can not be read by toast.

Hopefully some one can guide to the right direction. Thanks.

Roy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
What's with all of the bold statement's Roy? :p

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I use MTR and Toast 7. Toast 7 does the compression and then the burn. I believe that popcorn will do the compression also, you will not need the 8.5GB DVDs.

OP
P
Reaction score
Alright....

I still have know idea what i'm doing. as for the bold statements who knows lol. but honestly if this were a pc i would be done, but i'm basically a retard on mac for the time being. Most things are so easy it's ridiculous and once i figure it out i realize how simple it was the whole time, but I can't seem to get this to work, so I might was well set fire to two $1 bills evertytime i try to burn a movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Insert DVD... Let's say The 25th Hour.
Open MacTheRipper... it will "scan" the DVD..
Click GO on the MacTheRipper
I believe the default is to save the folder to the desktop..
Once MacTheRipper is done, it will say something like: "Complete... don't do anything illegal".. click ok. Then eject The 25th Hour DVD.

Now open Toast.
Click Video
Select Video from TS Folder (something like that).

Drag the 25th_Hour Folder from the desktop into the TOAST Window.
Click the RED button in the lower Right Corner (HUGE RED button :D)
A pop-up will have some settings on it.. just click "OK"
Another pop-up will say something like "Please Insert Media"... Don't just stand there.. DO IT!!! :D

Insert your Blank DVD...

Go get some "Iced Milk" (Get a glass full of ice, and fill it with milk)while you wait....

When Toast is done you'll hear the "Ding!"... A pop-up will ask if you'd like to Eject or Mount.. Click Eject, and try it out in your Stand-alone DVD player.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Insert DVD... Let's say The 25th Hour.
Open MacTheRipper... it will "scan" the DVD..
Click GO on the MacTheRipper
I believe the default is to save the folder to the desktop..
Once MacTheRipper is done, it will say something like: "Complete... don't do anything illegal".. click ok. Then eject The 25th Hour DVD.

Now open Toast.
Click Video
Select Video from TS Folder (something like that).

Drag the 25th_Hour Folder from the desktop into the TOAST Window.
Click the RED button in the lower Right Corner (HUGE RED button :D)
A pop-up will have some settings on it.. just click "OK"
Another pop-up will say something like "Please Insert Media"... Don't just stand there.. DO IT!!! :D

Insert your Blank DVD...

Go get some "Iced Milk" (Get a glass full of ice, and fill it with milk)while you wait....

When Toast is done you'll hear the "Ding!"... A pop-up will ask if you'd like to Eject or Mount.. Click Eject, and try it out in your Stand-alone DVD player.

Pretty thorough but you missed the bit about the Virgin and the Chicken bones. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.