New to Laptops

Reaction score
Hello, I need a laptop and I am on a tight budget. So I narrowed my search down to a mid-2012 MacBook Pro i7 (750GB 8GB Ram) that also comes w/ Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite, fully upgraded for $1000. I was pretty happy with the price, but just before I pulled the trigger I found a refurbished 2014 MacBook Pro i5 (128GB 16GB Ram) w/ retina, also for $1000. Which one will be better for me? Simple bookkeeping, so I'll need the Microsoft Office, and playing around? Any advice will help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First of all…it sounds like you're purchasing used computers. Those apps you mentioned (MS Office & Adobe) are not legal installs. So don't factor the included apps in the purchase. Just focus on the hardware.

As far as the two computers you mentioned…each for $1000. Get the 2014 MacBook Pro. It's newer…and the 16gig of ram is nice. The 128gig of storage is on the small side. So you can't have everything.

A more complete set of specs would be nice to be able to give a more definite recommendation.

But regardless…either computer will get the job done for you.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
This is all I know:
mid 2012 - Processor: 2.9GHz Intel i7
Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 512MB

2014 0 Processor 2.6GHz Intel i5
128GB SSD
16GB Ram
Retina display
But I think this is exactly what I just told you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't include the CPU speeds in post #1. And you didn't give the display sizes. Knowing both of these helps identify what exact model each is. So thanks for the CPU info.

Also it looks like both of these are 13" display models. If one or both of them were 15" models…that could make a big difference.

I still say get the 2014 MacBook Pro. It could have more storage (but it is a faster SSD/flash drive)…but it has more ram (16gig), better retina display, and better graphics hardware…and basically it's just newer.

That would be my recommendation.

But if you REALLY need more than 128gig of internal storage. Then you would have to go with the 2012 MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
First of all…it sounds like you're purchasing used computers. Those apps you mentioned (MS Office & Adobe) are not legal installs. So don't factor the included apps in the purchase. Just focus on the hardware.

@ CameronPaul - just to reinforce Nick's point above, software purchased by the previous owner of a computer is licensed to them, so you will also have to consider in your budget the cost of adding programs that you will need w/ MS Office likely being the most expensive.

Apple recommends a series of steps in preparing a computer to be sold or given to a new owner, and the last is to reinstall an appropriate OS X, so that the machine comes to you like 'new' relative to what is on the HD or SSD - take a look at this Apple Support Article - those initial steps of deauthorizing the computer and signing out of iCloud are extremely important - good luck in your choice. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I agree with Nick and RadDave but make sure what ever you buy is wiped clean with a fresh install. When I purchased my first Macbook Pro it came with all kinds of "free" software. It also came with an admin user account that was used to install all that "free" stuff. So I wiped it and re-installed Mountain Lion which got rid of the administrator account they had set up for me. I just feel better knowing I know what has been installed.

BTW: The 128 SSD of the 2014 is upgradable if you ever decide to increase your storage.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27849

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.