new to iPhone

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and to iPhone - I recently bought a 5S (totally new to smart phones too). I got 2G of a data plan and unlimited talk/text. Can anyone tell me how the 2 gigabytes work? Do I use up the gigabytes by the number of apps I have on my phone? Is it used up only when I'm running an app or when I'm not on a wireless network (or both)?

Any clarification would be most appreciated.....thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which carrier do you have your plan with? Each carrier has a different method of computing how much data is consumed for certain actions. They generally post an average consumption graph or scale so that you can judge how much is used. You only use data when you're on their network which means if you use your iPhone primarily where there is free WiFi, your consumption rate will be less. Based on my past experience (Verizon) 2 GB of data per month goes a long way provided you're not downloading movies, music, or live streaming.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you, chscag! I'm with Verizon. They assured me 2 GB would be fine for me but I was curious if that was true. I guess time will tell. I'm not downloading videos or live streaming, however, somehow my music from my iTunes account is on my phone but I haven't synced it with my iMac yet (I'm waiting to see if I should upgrade my iMac 1st). Maybe my music is in the iCloud? I feel clueless but with the help of this forum, I'm hoping I won't be in the dark too long! Thanks again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
2GB of data should be fine. I have the same plan on Verizon. Just use WiFi whenever it's available. I hardly ever hit 1GB of data myself, because I use WiFi at home, work, and anywhere I can.

C

chas_m

I also have 2GB of data and really struggle to figure out a way to use it all!

You "use up" data whenever you're interacting with the Internet and not on a Wi-Fi network. Watching videos on 3G/LTE is the fastest way to burn through your data allotment, so I avoid that unless really necessary, but I do spend a few hours a month listening to streaming radio stations (iTunes Radio, Shoutcast, Radium, NPR, Radio Paradise, Soma FM). I mostly have the data so that I can use Maps when in the car (don't keep it on much, though) and so I can create a "wi-fi hotspot) for my iPad when travelling or otherwise not in Wi-Fi.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks chas_m! A lot of great information...especially your essay for switchers and newbies. I appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.