New to Apple, got a few new machines

Reaction score
Hey.

Long time Windows User here. Recently made the switch to Apple and OSX. My wife always wanted a Macbook. She is a teacher and uses a mac at her place of work, and wanted her own. She grabbed a White Unibody Macbook a few weeks ago, and somehow convinced me to do the same. I sold my windows laptop and picked up a white unibody as well. They are both the core2duo 2.26ghz, 250gb, 2gb ram 13" models.

Been great. Its straight forward, simple, fast, and is quite easy to pick up and understand. Very happy.

Today I was searching craigslist and found a 20" Imac G4, 1.25ghz, 1.25gb ram, 80gb hd, running leopard 10.5.8, a newer full aluminum keyboard, and a mighty mouse. It was mint, and $250, so I decided to buy it as well, to have an apple desktop to play around with. The last user had upgraded the So-dimm with a 1gb stick, so all i had to do was dig up a 1gb stick of ram I had lying around from another windows Pc, crack open the Imac case and update the other, full size dimm ram chip. So now its running 2gb. It's pretty cool looking! The old owner gave me the leopard disc and his copy of ilife 09. The ram was an easy upgrade to do as well. I am comfortable with doing things like that. The tutorials online made it seem like the service dimm slot would be hard to get too, but it was literally 8 screws away.

Really loving the macbook and the Imac.

Thought I would join a forum and say hi!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Hello, Im glad you are enjoying your macs.

Welcome to the forum, If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to ask.

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum. Its good to hear that your switch was smooth and easy, I hope you and your wife enjoy your new macs. What are the white unibody macbooks like? I wish they sold them in black as well.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi thanks. They are pretty nice. I have handled the old ones. It seems a tad bit thinner, rounder. The unibody design seems like it will completely solve that chipping problem that I have heard about. The "glass" trackpad is nice and big. I am not sure if its glass coated though?? Maybe its plastic on the white unibody?

Its quick though, the 9400m video card is pretty impressive for an onboard graphics card. I played some World of Warcraft on it and it runs 45-75fps solid with mid-settings. Except for a few high pop areas. Cant complain about that really.

OP
R
Reaction score
Maybe I will post a picture up later of my setup. The macbook is awesome but I gotta tell ya, I am pleasently suprised with the IMAC G4 as well. It runs OSX 10.5.8 very well. A 1.25ghz g4 is dated, and 2gb ram is enough, but its only DDR333. OSX still runs pretty smooth though. Kind of a decent option if a first time apple user spent his cash on a macbook/macbook pro, and cant swing the cash for a desktop on top of it. It works for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Glad you like it. I never owned a G4, I always procrastinate when I realize I need a new computer. (takes about 3 to 5 years after I realize my current computer has lived out its glory days :D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I used a G4 450 until last year ;)

Welcome to the club, redwolf!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.