New Switcher - My experience.

Reaction score
Greetings.

I've been lurking about the past week or so waiting on the first of two macs to come in. Well, the Macbook came in and still waiting on the MacPro, but this gives me plenty of time to learn the OS and I've already run into a small hitch.

Renaming files... Really, it was all an issue of me trying to overcomplicate things and it reminded me very quickly of my first iPod. I must have spent hours in menus and sub-menus trying to figure out how to adjust the volume before realizing how simple it was. I'm actually pretty happy at getting to kick myself repeatedly over how much I'm trying to overcomplicate a really simple machine and procedure.

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you to all the people out there that I've read responses and solutions on topics for people like myself that are or were looking at moving over. It was actually a large determining factor in deciding to go with the Apple line.

Looking forward to getting some simple solutions from ya'll when I revert back to trying to make rights out of three lefts instead of the easy way.

Long story short, I'm a very happy camper and lookin' forward to talking with some of ya'll in the near future.

--R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great 1st post!!!!

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the Mac's!!!

Reaction score
I'm actually pretty happy at getting to kick myself repeatedly over how much I'm trying to overcomplicate a really simple machine and procedure. --R

I did the same thing. Made things complicated when the solution was actually very, very simple (and logical). That is one of the reasons I love Mac so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
You ordered TWO new Macs at once?! You must not be married LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
You ordered TWO new Macs at once?! You must not be married LOL.

LOL !!!

anyway, welcome to the forum!! This is a great place to share your experience in the mac world. I like to complicate thins too, but I'm getting used to this.

Loving my mac more and more each day :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Greetings.

I've been lurking about the past week or so waiting on the first of two macs to come in. Well, the Macbook came in and still waiting on the MacPro, but this gives me plenty of time to learn the OS and I've already run into a small hitch.

Renaming files... Really, it was all an issue of me trying to overcomplicate things and it reminded me very quickly of my first iPod. I must have spent hours in menus and sub-menus trying to figure out how to adjust the volume before realizing how simple it was. I'm actually pretty happy at getting to kick myself repeatedly over how much I'm trying to overcomplicate a really simple machine and procedure.

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you to all the people out there that I've read responses and solutions on topics for people like myself that are or were looking at moving over. It was actually a large determining factor in deciding to go with the Apple line.

Looking forward to getting some simple solutions from ya'll when I revert back to trying to make rights out of three lefts instead of the easy way.

Long story short, I'm a very happy camper and lookin' forward to talking with some of ya'll in the near future.

--R

Great post. The one word that stands out most in your post is "simple". Mac is just simple.. Welcome to MF! I hope you enjoy your stay!

OP
S
Reaction score
No, I'm certainly not married. Not yet anyway.

An interesting dilemma has occurred though. As I was installing updates on my first day, my screen unexpectedly went blank.

I called Apple, they ran me through some steps and decided that the backlight on the monitor was dead. Was really top-notch service and they over-nighted me a box to pack up the laptop in to get it repaired / replaced. I turned on the power, to make sure I had it "off" before shipping and everything returned to normal. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this message from it currently.

What I can't figure out whether or not to do is to still send the book in, or keep it. I'm assuming it would be most adviseable to call Apple and ask for their advice on it?

I'm certainly happy that it is once again working. And there is an Apple Store where I'll be moving inside of a month if things go awry again. Does anyone have any experience with "miracles" so to speak as it happens with a "DoA" system that wasn't quite so dead, just in a small coma?

Thanks in advance for any help / insight ya'll can part with.

--R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I had a couple of initial problems with my Macbook in the first week that I had it. Mostly regarding power issues, like it draining the battery when it was supposed to be asleep and not drawing that much power whereas mine would be down to almost nothing when I woke it up the next day.

I called Apple (since I had purchased the AppleCare package) and they walked me through resetting the power management system. This has fixed that issue and I've had no problems since.

Also in the first few weeks after that it experienced a few kernel panics, which always indicates some kind of hardware problem (a kernel panic is where you get the multi-lingual screen which in all the languages displayed tells you that your computer is borked* and you need to reset it by holding down the power button.) I haven't had one in quite a long while since, however, and this without any calls, action, or service from a tech. So perhaps the concept of "burn-in" might have been the case with my Mac. Who knows why it got borked the few (five, actually) times that it did, but it's been about three months now and no problems at all and I pretty much trust that it'll work for me all the time now. Fingers crossed, but that's how it went.

* borked: verb, [trans] informal - a technical term meaning your computer is royally f*cked up such you need to restart it and hope to whatever diety you worship that it'll come back up. See also: screwed, hosed, tweaked, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.