New Startup Disk, do i have to backup?

Reaction score
Ok I posted a few weeks ago and you all were a huge help, thank you!

I have my new startup disk and am looking forward to having it done. Question: Is the new startup disk going to basically put my computer back to the way I got it? Am I going to have to re-install all my software afterwards? Will I lose everything on my computer if I do not backup first?

I plan on backing up onto my external hard drive, just wondering if I can do this install first? Am I going to lose all my documents, images, programs, etc?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Depends on what you are upgrading to ??
10.5 has options to Archive and install or a clean install and the Snow Leopard by default will do a Archive and Install ....

As it stands the A&I will bring your system back to the exact way you left it in the old.

But as you said BACKUP as nothing is fail safe and even though its a  product, it is still prone to failure.

If you are upgrading to SL once done dl 10.6.2 Combo Update straight from the  website. DONT do the System Update for that one, as it has a few flaws.
Then the next thing all your 3rd party apps will need to be updated and HERE is a link to the SL compatible Software ...
Hope this helps

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm guessing you mean you want to swap over your Hard Drive!

You will lose everything if you don't backup first.
You will have to reinstall your OS again or restore from backup using, but ....
You can do this though, by booting off your install disc, selecting language, and then in the menu bar selecting restore from backup in utilities.

Clone with either CCC or SuperDuper

I think you should go with this link:
How to Upgrade Your MacBook's Hard Drive

Have fun :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes you need to back up to an external drive using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Hard to give any further advice as do not know if you are using a laptop, desktop, iMac, Mini etc. A tower for instance you could pop the new drive in the second position, format it using Disk Utility and clone the original drive if it is still working.

The more information you supply the more detailed responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
After booting off the install disk either Options or Customize gives you the choice of 'Archive and Install' which installs fresh OS and saves your data to a folder on the HD, then u can access it as needed later. Once you have done the install then download this and install it and then go to Software update < Apple Menu or Sys Prefs, not sure on Tiger > and run that until there are no more updates. Then it is a good time to do a back up to Ext HD so u have a latest copy and don't have to do all those steps over again if you have a later problem.

Hey guys - it is a 2.16 MacBook and a replacement Tiger disk from Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know if I read the question wrong :?

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok sorry I was not more specific. I am using a MacBook. I am not upgrading. I no longer have the password for my computer, so I purchased a copy of the original startup disk for Mac OS X, which I received with the computer, but have since lost. What else do you need to know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I don't know if I read the question wrong :?

HAHA we all gave a sort of different answer ....

Must be morning here down under lol And well done on the link ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh sorry dont know bout Tiger :(

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you, Collin. I still have no idea what I am doing, but I am going to back up, then cross my fingers and hope for the best!

After booting off the install disk either Options or Customize gives you the choice of 'Archive and Install' which installs fresh OS and saves your data to a folder on the HD, then u can access it as needed later. Once you have done the install then download this and install it and then go to Software update < Apple Menu or Sys Prefs, not sure on Tiger > and run that until there are no more updates. Then it is a good time to do a back up to Ext HD so u have a latest copy and don't have to do all those steps over again if you have a later problem.

Hey guys - it is a 2.16 MacBook and a replacement Tiger disk from Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I posted a few weeks ago and you all were a huge help, thank you!

I have my new startup disk and am looking forward to having it done. Question: Is the new startup disk going to basically put my computer back to the way I got it? Am I going to have to re-install all my software afterwards? Will I lose everything on my computer if I do not backup first?

I plan on backing up onto my external hard drive, just wondering if I can do this install first? Am I going to lose all my documents, images, programs, etc?

Thanks again.

Ok sorry I was not more specific. I am using a MacBook. I am not upgrading. I no longer have the password for my computer, so I purchased a copy of the original startup disk for Mac OS X, which I received with the computer, but have since lost. What else do you need to know?

Thank you, Collin. I still have no idea what I am doing, but I am going to back up, then cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Sorry, but now you've really lost me!

You have a new hard drive or a new install disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
I am clueless, thanks for the help, sorry if I confused anyone. I was just worried I was going to lose everything on my computer, but I guess not. I stated in my original question (today) that it is an install disk, but I have no idea what kind of effect the install disk has on anything, so that why I asked.

Thanks again, everyone. Hopefully I won't have to ask any more stupid questions, but I very much appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's ok :)
Just to make it easier for future posts....
Install disc (CD or DVD)
Hard drive (the storage device inside the computer)
Startup (volume) Disk (the Hard Drive that the computer boots/starts from)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.