New Sierra Takes Document Folder Hostage

Reaction score
An alert to users of Sierra 10.12.

Bad things happen if you upload items from your Document file to the iCloud drive if you are using the new Sierra 10.12..

Per Apple instructions and warnings, once you upload an item to iCloud it is removed from your Document folder. To access items previously saved in Documents you must do so 1) through the iCloud drive or 2) an iCloud Drive archive file that you may create on your Mac or laptop in Downloads. Sierra 10.12 eliminates the user's ability to save items directly to their Document folder. In addition, items copied into the Archive cannot be saved directly into Documents; one must drag or copy them from the Archive file. I confirmed the preceding points during a lengthy session with a senior Apple technical advisor who expressed surprise at learning of these changes -- he said he had not yet updated his personal computer to the new Sierra -- and sympathized with my anger at having Sierra kidnap key file management options. He said he would alert the engineering team of my feedback.

These is are major and negative changes, none of which were flagged by notes accompanying the Sierra 10.12 update. With Sierra 10.12 Apple has removed the user's ability to quickly and easily save documents, pdf's and other items directly to Documents. Apple presumes that the user will always inhabit a world of secure, reliable and robust internet that allows guaranteed access to Documents through the iCloud drive. From this user's perspective these changes are wholly negative and represent significant backward steps in Apple's quality, a breach of trust with Apple customers. I cannot imagine what reasoning Apple engineers and management used to delude themselves that these changes were made for the users benefit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
This week's Ddos attack showed the folly of reliance on cloud based storage.

Luckily, it is optional (for now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Apple as well as Microsoft and other vendors "assume" everyone has fast and always available internet access. I live in a rural area and my DSL is at times spotty and always slow. I did not "opt in" when I installed Sierra to the iCloud storage option for that reason as well as I felt I was being pushed into purchasing more cloud storage. I already pay for 50 GB as I backup several devices and pictures to it.

I recently explained how to move a persons documents out of iCloud and back to their mac. He found out about the problem when he deleted files in the cloud and his desktop disappeared on his mac. He did not know the files had been moved off his mac.

I just find this to be so invasive and as KevinJS states, look at the recent Denial of Service attacks.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I for one will not use the cloud ever. With rural Australia ADSL 2+ at dial up speeds no thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
At iphoneforums we just today discovered that Apple Music is capable of adding DRM to your own music, including music you may have written yourself. How about that? It appears that without a local backup of the original files you could be put into the position of being required to have an active (and functioning) Apple Music account to access your own property.

Haven't had a chance to check this out fully yet. The conversation only came up a few hours ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Thanks for the heads up!

Interestingly, I practically don't use either of these two: my main Docs folder is on the second SSD, with a slightly different name too; there's nothing in "official" Documents folder, but a couple of bits, put there by Adobe, Font Manager and iChats.

Same for the iCloud - only use it to quickly share a file between MBP and iPad and iPhone, once it's in the iBooks on iOS devices and in an appropriate folder on MBP, it's gone from iCloud. Quick and painless.

I would've had a heart attack if a file was removed from my drive, just because I dropped it to iCloud. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Keep in mind - every time there is an update to Sierra you will have to choose to not upload your desktop and documents to your iCloud account. This last update said I would need 59 GB of storage if I had elected to upload my Mac Pro's docs and desktop (most of that would have been documents - I like a neat and mostly empty desktop.) So I would have had to purchase storage which they would have cheerfully allowed me to do and charged me for every month.

I am sure my boss would not like my work documents being stored in my iCloud account. ;D

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.