New Router set up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Setting up routers, modem etc always leaves me cold as I have no idea what all the abbreviations mean for a start and I find the so-called quick-start guides anything but. I realise that at this stage no-one will be able to give me definitive answers but a few pointers would help when I come to 'do the deed'.

I'm paying for a brand new phone line installed with a new master socket (we're talking UK BTW) as Openreach are unable to resolve an intermittant fault on my existing line and my patience has run out with them. Anyway, I'm going to install a fibre connection as we have recently acquired FTTC in the village. My ISP originally offered a Fritz box 3490, but as that went out of stock at the moment they tried to order it they advised that I would be getting a Zyxel 8924 but have actually despatched a Technicolor TG589vac. So, my first question can anyone offer any comment on these routers. Have I been sold a dud?

Next question. I currently have ADSL going into a Vigor 120 modem and from there to an Apple Airport Extreme which communicates with an Edimax 7238 extender in another part of the house. This set up works well (when my phone line is up) with a wifi signal throughout. The question is should my new router have the range to reach the far corners of the house (it's not a mansion, but does have 13 rooms)? Should I try connecting the new router to the Edimax and/or should I consider setting it up in Bridge mode to my Airport Extreme? If any of these options are possible what issues should I be considering in terms of practicality, performance etc.

My excellent ISP, Zen, has dedicated mac support so for the nuts and bolts of setup I can turn to them but thought I'd get the views of 'real' users here first before I embark on the frustrating job of wiring up the new kit.

Thank you for your patience in reading thus far :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I'd be inclined to keep using the AE in bridge mode or alternatively ask whether your ISP can provide a modem only solution to which you can then connect your AE (this is what I have done with BT fibre)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I have never seen or used an AE, so I don't the operating options. If it can be run as a Router (not in bridge mode), that would be my personal preference. Have the ISP-connected device be set up in whatever way necessary so as to allow the external (WAN/Internet) interface of the AE to get a public, routable address. Things brings everything right to the edge of what YOU control and gives a very good blend of security and flexibility.

Allowing the ISP-connected device to get the public address means you're placing a certain level of control in their hands and possibly giving up some security and/or flexibility. Trying to bridge public addresses all the way through onto the "inside" of the AE (your LAN) is a maximal security sacrifice since any device on your WiFi would be directly reachable from the Internet with no controls.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Perhaps I should have added that my Airport Extreme is a 2012 model and only supports 802.11 a, b, g and draft n whereas the Technicolor supports n and ac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Perhaps I should have added that my Airport Extreme is a 2012 model and only supports 802.11 a, b, g and draft n whereas the Technicolor supports n and ac.

looking at your mac specs would you need n and ac?

you could of course take the opportunity to upgrade to a new AEBS :)

as someone who is not very conversant with the technicalities of wireless networks, I do find the AEBS to be about as easy as it is in setting up and running a network. so much so that the home hub provided by BT is still in its box up the loft!

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"looking at your mac specs would you need n and ac?"
Good question, but yes as hoping to get a new 27" iMac once I've received my first few pension payments :). Also have 5 iPads in the house, a Macbook (old but being replaced soon), a fairly new Dell laptop, Apple TV, Sky internet box, a couple of iPhones... and that's before we have guests staying with their iPads and phones. Guess I need to try the Technicolor to see what the range/performance is like before going down the AEBS route. Actually the problem is quite academic at the moment as Openreach turned up today to 'test the line' instead of installing a new line. Would be quite funny except that's the third time they have sent the wrong engineer with the wrong instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
If you have a combination of older and newer iPads and iPhones, you might want to consider getting a dual band router. I had a Linksys WRT54G "forever" that just worked. I extended the coverage of my SSID by adding a Netgear in another area of the house, on a different channel, to increase the connection options. Two MBA's, four iPads, and five iPhones was over the limit. No matter what I did, devices would simply get kicked off the WiFi. I bought an ASUS AC3100 dual band router and have had zero issues since. The 5GHz option is allowed for some devices (namely, those owned and used by the adults - :) ) while everything else sticks with the 2.4GHz band. Creating some diversity for the devices cleaned up the different channels / bands to where there aren't any drop-outs any more and I no longer use a second router (and have never used an extender).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.