new rMBP pros and cons

dlf

Reaction score
I bought the machine, putting thoughts reservations about screen (too shiny) and keyboard (too tacky) aside. I love how fast it is compared to my old, very old, model. It looks great. I installed Yosemite without any issues. Am still getting used to the new look but I'm sure that will happen. The screen isn't quite as glossy as I feared but I still am sometimes startled by my own reflection when I'm working. The chiclet keyboard is ok, but I doubt I'll ever be a fan. On the whole I don't regret the purchase. It's a pound lighter than my old one but I think that comes at too big a cost -- I really don't like how inaccessible its insides are, the way everything is soldered and glued together. And, following the imperative to make everything thin, there's no room for a kensington lock or a remote control sensor. It's as if the MBP has become another iteration of the Air

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unless you're going to return your new retina MacBook Pro...why would you want to discuss pro's & con's now? Might have been a better idea to do this before purchase.:)

And to be honest...if you need/want an Apple notebook/laptop...your only other choice is the MacBook Air. And in my opinon...the retina MacBook Pro is a better choice/value at the moment.:)

Just saying...;)

- Nick

OP
D

dlf

Reaction score
No, not going to return it -- hoping that this will see me through the next five years or so. Cons notwithstanding.

But there might be others who are making the same kind of decision and this sort of thread could be useful to them?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But there might be others who are making the same kind of decision and this sort of thread could be useful to them?

BELIEVE ME. We've been discussing the Pro's & Con's of retina MacBook Pro's since they were first released in June, 2012 (almost 2.5 years now).;)

Especially:

- the removal of the optical drive
- the soldered non-upgradeable ram
- the difficult to upgrade internal storage

Lots of threads already in the Mac-Forums database on this stuff.:)

- Nick

p.s. Of course everyone is free to continue the discussion!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.