New quirk opening folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
Just started this AM: When I double-click a folder on my desktop, the window that opens shows the content of my whole desktop rather than just what is in the folder.
Is there a way to revert this back to just showing the content of the folder?

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think I know what is happening here.

If you have a Folder on your Desktop with multiple items enclosed; then double click on that Folder, it gives the impression that you are seeing your whole Desktop. But what it is doing is showing your Folder as a part of the Desktop. It is deceiving.

You need to grab the corners of the Folder and enlarge it. Then you will see the contents of the Folder as a separate "window".

I've experienced this before on many occasions.

On the other hand, I can't see what you are doing or what it shows. So I may be in error. A screenshot would help.

Ian

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the speedy reply Ian.

Yes, you are correct -- The window that opens has three columns. The content of the target folder is in the center column while the folders/files on my desktop are in the left column [with the target folder highlighted in the left column]. And if I click on one of the pics [folder content], it shows in the right column.

I do not remember this happening before this morning and I do not think that I changed any settings.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ian I didn't even think of that possibility when I read the initial post earlier. Good thinking.

@T'Pring Have you installed any system software updates or other software recently? I think some of our members have reported that changes such as this have happened after software updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You may have inadvertently changed the Finder View option.

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies,

I have not installed any updates and this computer is not set up for automatic install.

I do not see much that I could do in Finder View [pic attached] -- Most items are "greyed-out'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.53.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.53.24 AM.png
    564.4 KB · Views: 17

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think Bob is referring to the icons I marked with the star in this screenshot. Experiment with the icons to the right of the star to see if they get your old view back

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 1.37.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 1.37.40 PM.png
    717 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I do not see much that I could do in Finder View [pic attached] -- Most items are "greyed-out'.
They are greyed out, when you do not have an active Finder window open. The top 4 items in the drop down are the display view types for Finder.

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ferrar (and Slydude), you nailed it!
I must have typed Command + 3 at some point to change to columns -- I opened a window, typed Command + 2 and it is back to "normal".

Thank you

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, a.k.a ferrarr, deserves all the credit. I was a little confused about what was happening until I read his post.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well done, Bob.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.