New Powerbooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I heard the same thing.. can't remember where I heard it though.. probably macrumors :)

M

m1k

LOL! I just realised, there have been 450+ views on this thread, because obviously everybody thought Apple had released new PowerBook models and wanted to check out this thread to see them. Cool!

OP
E
Reaction score
What do you guys think the chances of new PowerBook's coming out really soon are now that the iBook just came out? I was just about to buy my 12" PowerBook but now I'm thinking of waiting another week or two...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Murlyn, I was just going to post that.

OP
E
Reaction score
Grr typical. So what do you guys think then, do I get the 12" powerbook or get the 14" ibook now? It's way cheaper. Just wish the ibook didn't have that ugly ass plastic cover makes it look so cheap. Is there a huge difference between the two? Thinking about that plastic cover makes me think powerbook now lol but what do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram
I think the 14" iBook is a steal. especially now that they bumped up the processor and included the airport extreme card. you need to look up the specs of both, the powerbook and the iBook to really get the difference between them, except for the obvious ones - bluetooth, hard drive etc. but if you are not too advanced a user, it should work more than fine for you. And about the G5 powerbook, how much do u think it is gonna cost even if it does come out in the next couple of months? It will be not be close to the current powerbook prices my friend. I believe it will be anywhere over $3300 USD. not saying that its gonna be a rip off but i think the lowest model of the powerbook g5 will come with probably 1gb of RAM, and 160GB hard drive, Superdrive, one of the top graphics cards, etc. so it will definately be worth it but it might not be in your budget and requirements, so why wait?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
For now. the iBook is a clear extreme value

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
iaminvincible said:
I think the 14" iBook is a steal. especially now that they bumped up the processor and included the airport extreme card. you need to look up the specs of both, the powerbook and the iBook to really get the difference between them, except for the obvious ones - bluetooth, hard drive etc. but if you are not too advanced a user, it should work more than fine for you. And about the G5 powerbook, how much do u think it is gonna cost even if it does come out in the next couple of months? It will be not be close to the current powerbook prices my friend. I believe it will be anywhere over $3300 USD. not saying that its gonna be a rip off but i think the lowest model of the powerbook g5 will come with probably 1gb of RAM, and 160GB hard drive, Superdrive, one of the top graphics cards, etc. so it will definately be worth it but it might not be in your budget and requirements, so why wait?

Can't see Apple supplying a gig of ram, even the Dual 2.5GHz Powermac doesnt come with that much, only 512k. It's stuff like this that stop most Apple products from scoring the highest marks ever in magazine reviews, like the new iMacs, great reviews but lack of bluetooth/airport and minimal ram as standard is what let it down. I love Apple products but the problem is they are pricey, definitely above the average consumer's price, i'd love to see more Apple products around wherever i go.

M

m1k

Grr typical. So what do you guys think then, do I get the 12" powerbook or get the 14" ibook now? It's way cheaper. Just wish the ibook didn't have that ugly ass plastic cover makes it look so cheap. Is there a huge difference between the two? Thinking about that plastic cover makes me think powerbook now lol but what do you guys think?

There are a number of differences between the iBook and PowerBook. You're right, the PowerBook does feel MUCH more solid than the iBook. My mom's iBook just doesn't feel as solid as my PowerBook (keys, screen movement, etc.). There's no other way to describe it.

Also, if you're into making music, make sure you get the PowerBook. It has a line-in port, whereas the iBooks don't have line-in ports. So I can plug in Mics/etc. into my PowerBook, whereas if I had an iBook I couldn't do that.

I'd say get a PowerBook, whatever you're doing. Either wait until they're refreshed or get one now. But you'll notice a HUGE quality difference, speed difference and also if you're a musician you'll definitely want the line-in port.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.