New photos app not working with My Photo Stream

Reaction score
I am very unhappy with the new Photos app, in particular the way it was forced down the throat of users without any real prior notice. I had trouble migrating my iPhoto library to the new app but somehow I managed. Now my problem is with My Photo Stream.

I have no inclination at this point to use this new iCloud photo library - I do not want to keep all my photos on iCloud, and for sure I am not interested in paying money for the storage to do so. Therefore, I have kept My Photo Stream activated, in the hope of downloading photos from it as I was doing before.

Unfortunately, the Photos app simply isn't working properly with My Photo Stream. It does connect, but it takes ages to load the photos, and it stops after a certain point, i.e. without having loaded all the photos. I have restarted it, rebooted my computer etc. but to no avail. I don't think it is an internet connection issue either. Am I the only one having this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am very unhappy with the new Photos app, in particular the way it was forced down the throat of users without any real prior notice. I had trouble migrating my iPhoto library to the new app but somehow I managed. Now my problem is with My Photo Stream.

Define "no real prior notice". It's been talked about for months. What exactly did you expect?

I have no inclination at this point to use this new iCloud photo library - I do not want to keep all my photos on iCloud, and for sure I am not interested in paying money for the storage to do so. Therefore, I have kept My Photo Stream activated, in the hope of downloading photos from it as I was doing before.

You don't have to use the iCloud Photo Library. I'm not. Just say "no" when prompted. All my photos are stored locally, with a backup going to my Copy.com account instead.

Unfortunately, the Photos app simply isn't working properly with My Photo Stream. It does connect, but it takes ages to load the photos, and it stops after a certain point, i.e. without having loaded all the photos. I have restarted it, rebooted my computer etc. but to no avail. I don't think it is an internet connection issue either. Am I the only one having this problem?

There is some buggy behavior with Photostream, that's for sure. I have to keep toggling it off and back on to make it work, and even then it's a bit sluggish. The sluggishness may be a temporary hickup if it's a result of their servers getting hammered by people doing the upgrades.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for this. It's at least relieving to hear that it isn't just me having this problem - my situation is exactly as you describe.

As for prior notice, this may have been talked about for a while in Mac forums and other such tech media, but I do not necessarily check those as a matter of course, and I don't think I should have to. If a major piece of software (i.e. iPhotos) is going to simply stop working, I think the least they could do is send some sort of notification, e.g. a pop up when iPhotos is opened or something of that nature.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As for prior notice, this may have been talked about for a while in Mac forums and other such tech media, but I do not necessarily check those as a matter of course, and I don't think I should have to.

Nowadays with new devices coming out almost every several months and the ever changing computer world, unless you keep up with things you'll be out of touch. Does the government send you a letter every time they make a change to the tax laws? It's up to you by whatever means to keep up with them. Forums are one way to keep up with what's going on with your Mac and Apple in general. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for this. It's at least relieving to hear that it isn't just me having this problem - my situation is exactly as you describe.

As for prior notice, this may have been talked about for a while in Mac forums and other such tech media, but I do not necessarily check those as a matter of course, and I don't think I should have to. If a major piece of software (i.e. iPhotos) is going to simply stop working, I think the least they could do is send some sort of notification, e.g. a pop up when iPhotos is opened or something of that nature.

But iPhoto hasn't stopped working. Well actually let me qualify that. If you got the last update to it (9.6.1), it still works. If not, see my post below on how to update to it.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/im...tography/323693-new-photos-3.html#post1653368

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.