New Photo App

Reaction score
I would like some feedback on the new Photo app that came with the OS X update. Do I really want all of my photos in the cloud? Will this free up space on my imac? Is it easy to retrieve the photo with the best resolution when the one left on the actual computer is not the best copy as I understand it after optimazaiton?
Will my iPhoto albums be transferred as is or is everything just reorganized by Photo?

Sorry I have a lot of questions.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Do I really want all of my photos in the cloud?
Only you can answer that. That said though, if you are often away from an internet connection and you only have them online, then probably not.

Will this free up space on my iMac?
Yes or no. If you only keep the pictures online, then yes. If you choose to have them on your Mac as well, then no. With Photos and iCloud Photo Library, the pictures are downloaded.

Is it easy to retrieve the photo with the best resolution when the one left on the actual computer is not the best copy as I understand it after optimazaiton?
As I understand it, the full res version is still available on iCloud so you can retrieve them later if the local copy doesn't work for you.
Will my iPhoto albums be transferred as is or is everything just reorganized by Photo?
I never really used iPhoto but as I understand it, you'll be given a chance to import your iPhoto library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Since Photos for OS X is almost identical to Photos in IOS, it shouldn't be a surprise when using it, but it is! After using iPhotos for a length of time, switching to Photos is like going from one kind of OS to another. The basic thing about having control over arranging, naming and sorting is just not there. You either like it or hate it and I think more will hate it. Apple needed lots more work on this before tossing iPhotos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.