New OS advice - leopard 10.5

Reaction score
Hello all. I have neglected to upgrade my mac from OS 10.5 since 2009. I am still using the same OS now and it's working fine for all my purposes. I am noticing however that more and more apps and upgrades are not compatible with my current OS (although the processing speed is still pretty good). I am wondering what will happen if a) I never upgrade, b) I change to linux/ubuntu, c) I try to run mavericks on a relatively old machine. I am keen to keep all my data and software and that is my primary concern. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What Mac do you have? Please provide the details so that we can tell you what version make sense..

Since you are running Leopard right now, you FIRST will likely have to upgrade to Snow Leopard which is a $30 upgrade. With 10.6.8, you get the Mac App Store and through that you can get the free upgrade to Mavericks..

But perhaps Snow Leopard is enough for your needs..we won't know until we get the Mac specifics..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am wondering what will happen if:
a) I never upgrade:

Barring any sort of computer hardware failure (which could be repaired if you wanted to). If you never:

- upgraded the OS
- needed to upgrade your apps
- or had any compatability issues with external devices such as printers

The computer would/could certainly keep running for years & years & years.:) The biggest potential problem is internet security. Apple no longer supports OS 10.6 with up to date Security Updates...and thus OS 10.5 no longer gets them either. So this is a potential risk area.

c) I try to run mavericks on a relatively old machine.

We would have to confirm that your computer can run Mavericks. But assuming it can...I'm willing to bet that at least some of your apps will need upgrading. Which means some $$$.;)

I am keen to keep all my data and software and that is my primary concern. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

And...if any of your current apps are PPC based. OS 10.6 was the last OS that would allow you to run PPC apps. So if you wanted to keep using your current apps (current versions)...OS 10.6 would the highest OS you could upgrade to & still be able to run PPC apps.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Nick and Ashwin,

Thank you for your replies. Sorry for the lack of details in the post. My computer is a Macbook Pro running OS 10.5.8. It's not PPC, it's a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB of RAM as well.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Is there any more advice you would give with the additional information?

Regards,

Jack

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the lack of details in the post. My computer is a Macbook Pro running OS 10.5.8. It's not PPC, it's a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB of RAM as well.

I pretty much assumed that it was an Intel model computer (not PPC). But because you are running OS 10.5…many of the apps you're currently running are going to be "PPC only" or "Universal" (PPC and Intel).

Thanks for the feedback so far. Is there any more advice you would give with the additional information?

The earliest 2.4ghz MacBook Pro would be from 2007 (could also be a newer model)…and a 2007 2.4ghz MacBook Pro can run Mavericks.

This 2007 model also has a max. ram of 6gig. So a nice upgrade would be to 4gig of ram.

Of course if your computer is a bit newer…the ram upgrade possibilities may be different.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As it can handle 8GB of memory, you do need to increase this from the original 2GB, and the 8GB would be best. OWC and Crucial recommended module suppliers.

That is taking your word it is the 2009 model which came with OS X.5.6 orignally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
what version of safari are we running, and is that fast your your internet expectations?
i want to downgrade to what you have now,,,,,and on the fence
thanks!

OP
J
Reaction score
Everyone, thanks for the help. I checked my software and as it turns out most of my apps are universal. I presume these are fine to carry forward to Mavericks and beyond?

I will look into the additional RAM you have recommended as well. it is indeed a 2009 model.

Banesto, I am running Safari 5.0.6.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Unless you are planning to max out the RAM on that machine, I would strongly advise upgrading only as far as 10.6.8 (available from Apple for $20, order by phone or website only).

Trying to run Mavericks in 2GB of RAM will be a miserable experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.