New or Used for a Poor Girl?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
I tried a mac and pc and after being hacked a lot on pc im making the switch to mac officially. when I tried the mac I had bought a app called djay 2. it uses iTunes as the song source but how do I get the songs from my dj program up to the internet on my shoutcast stream

Thanks in Advance, Alice

PS: I am saving for my first mac which will be a $1,399 Mac mini. I know there are better but I live on government disability and this will even take me about a year to save.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
well since I am an poor girl living on government disability. I am debating if id be better off getting a used i7 mac mini or get a new one. there is a local shop that sells old pre unibody NVidia mac minis with i7's for like $600. so my question is am I better getting a new one or a used one for light use of world of Warcraft and second life and heavy use of iTunes and streaming music online through shoutcast?

Thanks for All Advice in Advance, Alice

C

chas_m

Hi Alice!

There's no such thing as a pre-unibody i7 Mac mini unless someone has performed some serious hackery, I'd be EXTREMELY wary of buying from someone like that as they can't possibly provide support for when it overheats or breaks down (which, since this isn't the way Apple designed it to work, you can bet it will).

Besides, brand new ones start at that price! On top of being an unsupported frankenmac, it's grossly overpriced!

I'd suggest getting a recent-model used or Apple refurbished Mac mini if you've already determined that's the only model you want. Since you're doing gaming, you'll want to pay special attention to the quality of the video chipset you're getting: for example, the Intel HD 4000 graphics in my mid-2012 MBP is waaaay better than the Geforce 9400M my 2009 had.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
There's no such thing as a pre-unibody i7 Mac mini

I was going by what they said. I was asking about iMac's at the same time so maybe I mixed them up. wish top tier mac minis had a option for a NVidia 850m GPU chip. from what I seen the iris pro should power wow and second life at medium settings which would be nice.

2 biggest mistakes with mac mini is no user upgradeability and removing the Dedicated GPU. seams to get a dedicated GPU u have to buy a MacBook Pro or iMac now days.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
$1400 for a Mac mini? Is this a gold-plated Mac mini with an included 4K HDTV or something?]

According to Apple Support to do all the stuff I need to with a mac, and for the cheapest cost I would need the following specs.

$1,399 Mac mini:
3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
1TB Fusion Drive
Intel Iris Graphics

doesn't include 3 programs by apple I want as well.

what I plan to do is:
1.) online DJing to a online world called second life which requires a DJ App, iTunes, and some kind of streaming app I need advice on getting.
2.) play world of Warcraft
3.) watch my iTunes TV shows and Movies
4.) music editing in Logic Pro
5.) edit photos in Aperture to replace my Paint Shop Pro in Windows
6.) edit videos in Final Cut Pro to replace my Video Shop Pro in Windows

I hope this clears up what I am planning to do going to contact apple support again and ask if they are sure the mac mini is still my best low cost option.

Thanks in Advance, Alice

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
$1,399 Mac mini:
3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
1TB Fusion Drive
Intel Iris Graphics

what I plan to do is:
1.) online DJing to a online world called second life which requires a DJ App, iTunes, and some kind of streaming app I need advice on getting.
2.) play world of Warcraft
3.) watch my iTunes TV shows and Movies
4.) music editing in Logic Pro
5.) edit photos in Aperture to replace my Paint Shop Pro in Windows
6.) edit videos in Final Cut Pro to replace my Video Shop Pro in Windows

According to apple the almost pimped out mac mini would be my best option for me since I spend 90% of my day in my Adjustable Hospital Bed in front of my 55" 1080p TV. trust me having a bad back that goes out with out warning and falling 3 times a day is no fun. that's why I need in room entertainment. and apple suggest the 1399 mac mini as best option with my low disability income and what I need the mac to do. the only mac mini upgrade not being done is the pci m.2 ssd. it would only have a 1tb fusion drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...wish top tier mac minis had a option for a NVidia 850m GPU chip. from what I seen the iris pro should power wow and second life at medium settings which would be nice.

...seams to get a dedicated GPU u have to buy a MacBook Pro or iMac now days.

Remember…you're on a limited budget. You've got the budget for a VW Beetle…but you want a Cadillac Escalade.;) Also…Mac-Mini's are priced as an entry level computer. So with entry level computers you get entry level features. But having said that…Mac-Mini's are pretty powerful.:)

I think that it would help if you gave us the specific model & specs on this $600 Mac-Mini you mentioned. But off the top of my head…$600 for an older used Mac-Mini sounds over-priced. But give us the exact model & specs…and we'll see.

- Nick

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
Remember…you're on a limited budget. You've got the budget for a VW Beetle…but you want a Cadillac Escalade.;) Also…Mac-Mini's are priced as an entry level computer. So with entry level computers you get entry level features. But having said that…Mac-Mini's are pretty powerful.:)

I think that it would help if you gave us the specific model & specs on this $600 Mac-Mini you mentioned. But off the top of my head…$600 for an older used Mac-Mini sounds over-priced. But give us the exact model & specs…and we'll see.

- Nick

yeah main problem is budget, but soon as I pay off couple bills my purchasing power gose up fast. as for the 600 usd mini im not sure the spcifics, he hass several. the good one is gone but he has one on his site for $499

Mac Mini 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB/ 500GB/ SuperDrive/ Airport/ BT Late 2009 Part # MC239LL/A. OS X 10.10 Yosemite Installed!

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
just a update I also called a Local Apple Refurbisher that offers Warentys just now. they suggested a beter used mac and cheaper then what the Mac Mini would Cost. below is what they recommended as a guide to look for. even though it will be long gone before I save my $$$$ up.

$1299.99: 27" iMac Core i7 3.4 GHz: MC814LL/A
Originally released Mid 2011
27-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT LCD (2560 x 1440)
16GB (4 x 4GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
1TB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm
Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVDR DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 6970 with 1GB of GDDR5 SDRAM

Thanks for any advice in Advance, Alice

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
just a update I also called a Local Apple Refurbisher that offers Warentys just now. they suggested a beter used mac and cheaper then what the Mac Mini would Cost. below is what they recommended as a guide to look for. even though it will be long gone before I save my $$$$ up.

$1299.99: 27" iMac Core i7 3.4 GHz: MC814LL/A
Originally released Mid 2011
27-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT LCD (2560 x 1440)
16GB (4 x 4GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
1TB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm
Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVDR DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 6970 with 1GB of GDDR5 SDRAM

Thanks for any advice in Advance, Alice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Keep shopping around.

I paid $800.00 for my barely used mid-late 2011 2.7GHz i5 27" iMac almost two years ago. Yes it was an excellent deal then, but it's now almost two years later now and used Mac prices fall with age.

BTW: For most gaming use, my understanding is the graphics with most minis is on the marginal and underpowered side. But maybe I'm wrong. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both threads merged together. Please do not cross post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
below is what they recommended as a guide to look for. even though it will be long gone before I save my $$$$ up.

$1299.99: 27" iMac Core i7 3.4 GHz

Is the budget $600 or isn't it?? If the budget is a "moving target"…it's gonna be hard to help you.

Do you have a specific time frame in which you NEED to purchase this computer?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Too dear. Purchased a similar model iMac in August 2012 and would value it now around AUD$1,000 or £700.

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
Both threads merged together. Please do not cross post.

I didn't mean to cross post & sorry about that. was 2 separate subjects that ended up having similar requirements I guess still trying to find a good streaming app in the other post

EDIT: just noticed other thread was deleted so if anyone has advice on an Streaming App that will Work with Djay id love some advice.

Is the budget $600 or isn't it?? If the budget is a "moving target"…it's gonna be hard to help you.

Do you have a specific time frame in which you NEED to purchase this computer?

- Nick

I haven't picked a budget yet, if I had to set a budget for January it would be $32.10. I am trying to figure out if I should consider a new mac mini/used mac mini/used iMac? more a question what will work for my needs, and from what I am hearing the mac mini will be way to soft in the GPU Department.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't picked a budget yet, if I had to set a budget for January it would be $32.10.

If the current budget (amount saved) is $32.10. Even that $600 Mac-Mini mentioned earlier would be quite a stretch at the moment.

I think in one of the earlier posts you mentioned that it may take up to a year to save the money for a computer. With this sort of timeframe…it's very possible that any sort of computer we recommend now…may not be the best choice in a year from now.

I think that this best thing to do at this point is...save up the money for the computer. Then when you have the money…let's reopen the conversation.:)

- Nick

OP
AliceSML79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro8,2
If the current budget (amount saved) is $32.10. Even that $600 Mac-Mini mentioned earlier would be quite a stretch at the moment.

I think in one of the earlier posts you mentioned that it may take up to a year to save the money for a computer. With this sort of timeframe…it's very possible that any sort of computer we recommend now…may not be the best choice in a year from now.

I think that this best thing to do at this point is...save up the money for the computer. Then when you have the money…let's reopen the conversation.:)

- Nick

understood, just wish I had a idea how much to save up before asking again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
understood, just wish I had a idea how much to save up before asking again.

With a limited budget (could take up to a year to save enough)…I would say a more modest computer would be the target. Right now (new) the $699 Mac-Mini would probably be a good choice.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.