New operating system Big Sur question

Reaction score
New operating system Big Sur question. Ever since upgrading, my computer seems slower. What's up?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, bexpet, and thank you for your post.

Your question is interesting, but puts us at a disadvantage because to answer such a wide-ranging question, we need to know:

What Mac have you got - Model, Year, Operating System before the Upgrade? And what RAM, amount of Free Space on your Mac; CPU? All this is very relevant.

The reasons for slowness range from slow-spinning Hard Drive such as in a 21.5" older iMac or to a Fusion Drive unable to cope with the new Apple Filing System (APFS) in place of the previous Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Or it could be that your Hard Drive has not enough Free Space. There really is no end to the possibilities.

I know you are looking for a quick answer, but we weren't sitting next to you and watched what you did and we know nothing about your Mac. These questions are tedious, I know, but help us to help you please.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello Ian and thanks for responding. I have an iMac purchased in 2017. Version 11.1, 945 g of room and 8 g of memory.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Seems slower doing what? Your question is WAY too generic to provide any useful responses.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OK, great. Thanks for the prompt reply.

You upgraded to macOS 11 Big Sur (BS) from which Operating System (OS) please? And 945 GB of free space seems fine.

I presume that you installed BS on top of the previous OS or was it a clean install?

Lastly, the slowness you are now experiencing - is it related to specific apps or processes or is it slow all the time?

I'm sorry for the questions :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Rotating drive or SSD? Big Sur reformats the drive to APFS, which is optimized for SSD, but which can be slower on a rotating drive.

One other thing to look for is whether or not Spotlight is still indexing the drive. It can take a day or two to finish that project so that Spotlight can find stuff for you.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Personally I have found BS to be a little faster on my 2015 13" MBPr than the previous macOS (Catalina) and I think that is the general experience. If you could answer the previous questions about your system it will make problem solving much easier. It would also be helpful to know how many days since the upgrade. As mentioned it could just be Spotlight indexing which does take a while dependent on how many hours the device has been on since the upgrade..

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, great. Thanks for the prompt reply.

You upgraded to macOS 11 Big Sur (BS) from which Operating System (OS) please? And 945 GB of free space seems fine.

I presume that you installed BS on top of the previous OS or was it a clean install?

Lastly, the slowness you are now experiencing - is it related to specific apps or processes or is it slow all the time?

I'm sorry for the questions :)

Ian
Hello Ian. I was informed of the upgrade by Creative Cloud and installed it. Computer seems to run slowly all the time. Opening apps like Photoshop/Illustrator take more time and occasionally freeze up. Internet opens slower too. What do you think?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello Ian. I was informed of the upgrade by Creative Cloud and installed it. Computer seems to run slowly all the time. Opening apps like Photoshop/Illustrator take more time and occasionally freeze up. Internet opens slower too. What do you think?

Can't help you with this one unless you answer with info that was requested above by Jake in reply #6 and Ian in reply #5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.