New MBP: Trackpad Setup

Reaction score
hi, have new MBP, Monterrey 12.6.. re trackpad:

in my old computer I had trackpad configured so for everything, even dragging (to select text, do a screenshot, etc) I only had to tap, not click.. I had that computer for 12 years, am so used to this setup now..

for the new one I have it setup for just tapping to click, but when I want to select text or in any way drag I still have to click...
can't find how to config like I had it in old one, i.e., so I just have to tap-drag, not click-drag...
I can't find how to config like this in new one..

see attached photo for settings in old one, I would like it to be config'd exactly the same way in the new one, but config dialog is so different in new one..
can't find how to config so can just tap-drag instead of click-dragging..

would appreciate some help.. this is important to me..
thank you..

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 6
OP
K
Reaction score
I still haven't solved this.. in old computer I never had to click on the trackpad, for anything at all..
I've had it for 12 years, I config'd the trackpad on day one, never touched it again, and it still works perfectly.. no clicking at all, for anything.. only tapping..

on this computer I can't find how to configure so I can tap-drag instead of click-drag to select text, for example (or to drag to do screenshots..)

also, for example, if the computer is asleep I have to click instead of tapping to wake it up.. in old computer this was also just tapping..

I have looked and looked, can't find how to configure this...

thank you..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I found this in System Preferences/Trackpad. Note the line for "Tap to click" that is NOT checked in the image:
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.06.44 PM.jpg
Could that be what you want?

OP
K
Reaction score
I found this in System Preferences/Trackpad. Note the line for "Tap to click" that is NOT checked in the image:
View attachment 37017
Could that be what you want?
yes of course.. of course I have "Tap to click" turned on, but it's not working as expected... i.e., it does not replace ALL clicks, like it did in my old computer.. I still have to click-drag to select text instead of just tap-dragging.. etc... as mentioned, in my old computer I didn't have to click ever, for anything...

thank you for your response...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Personally I don't have Tap to Click on because I'm very mouse orientated and because accidental clicks are annoying but in cases where I do need to use the Track Pad for actions like you describe, I use two fingers. One to select and hold and the other to drag, resize, whatever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.