New MBP (Finally!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
So I've been bugging you all for a week or more now, but now I'm finally one of you! Or we're all the same! Or something. ;D Went to the Apple store in King of Prussia, Pa and got my brand new Macbook Pro (my first Mac ever) and I'm already here to tell you all about it.

Anyways I know everyone gets on and does this, but of course now that I have one I wanted to do it too. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
So I've been bugging you all for a week or more now, but now I'm finally one of you! Or we're all the same! Or something. ;D Went to the Apple store in King of Prussia, Pa and got my brand new Macbook Pro (my first Mac ever) and I'm already here to tell you all about it.

Anyways I know everyone gets on and does this, but of course now that I have one I wanted to do it too. =)

Well, tell us about it! Isn't it awesome! One major selling point for me was Expose, allowing me to see all my windows at the same time, and picking which i want on the front.

Tip: After updating, you can set the preferences on your track pad to do a right click when you tap with two fingers, much more convenient than ctrl+click, in my opinion.

Good Luck with your Mac!!!

OP
Thyamine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well, tell us about it! Isn't it awesome! One major selling point for me was Expose, allowing me to see all my windows at the same time, and picking which i want on the front.

Tip: After updating, you can set the preferences on your track pad to do a right click when you tap with two fingers, much more convenient than ctrl+click, in my opinion.

Good Luck with your Mac!!!

lol. Well so far it's very very nice. My World of Warcraft CDs are multi-OS (as someone else said they would be) so I'm installing that at the moment. I feel a bit like a fish out of water, I'll admit. I'm used to knowing everything about Windows, and here I am completely unable to figure out how the heck to run an update or check for updates.

Being a geek though, I find that to be quite fun. New things to explore and do! I've heard a lot of people mention Expose, but I really don't know what that is/does.

Edit: Finally looked down in the icon bar and saw system preferences, so found the updates. =)

Reaction score
lol. Well so far it's very very nice. My World of Warcraft CDs are multi-OS (as someone else said they would be) so I'm installing that at the moment. I feel a bit like a fish out of water, I'll admit. I'm used to knowing everything about Windows, and here I am completely unable to figure out how the heck to run an update or check for updates.

Being a geek though, I find that to be quite fun. New things to explore and do! I've heard a lot of people mention Expose, but I really don't know what that is/does.

Edit: Finally looked down in the icon bar and saw system preferences, so found the updates. =)

I normally don't play WoW but I installed it also right when I got mine and it runs perfect and I love how Blizzard has all there games Mac and PC compatible. I felt the same way also, been using a PC since I was born and haven't used a Mac since elementary school where that was the only option, then I bought my MBP but I instantly started getting the feel of it just give it about 2-3 days and you will slowly start to figure out how to do everything. Did you buy the 17" or the 15"? I'm still not sure if I should have spent the extra $500 for the tiny bit faster processor and RAM and 256MB video card but I asked several apple reps and they said no so...

OP
Thyamine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I normally don't play WoW but I installed it also right when I got mine and it runs perfect and I love how Blizzard has all there games Mac and PC compatible. I felt the same way also, been using a PC since I was born and haven't used a Mac since elementary school where that was the only option, then I bought my MBP but I instantly started getting the feel of it just give it about 2-3 days and you will slowly start to figure out how to do everything. Did you buy the 17" or the 15"? I'm still not sure if I should have spent the extra $500 for the tiny bit faster processor and RAM and 256MB video card but I asked several apple reps and they said no so...

The 15". The 17" just seemed a bit large to be easily portable. I wanted the extra video memory for gaming, and it was only paired with the 2.33, which I was fine with. I'm a little surprised that some things don't just spring open when I click on them though. The wireless icon in the menu bar for example. Seems like it takes a second or two to expand, and in my mind my brand new system should just open the second I click on anything. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
congrats, post some pics of your set up.

Reaction score
Thyamine;387300 The wireless icon in the menu bar for example. Seems like it takes a second or two to expand said:
I noticed that about the airport icon (wireless) when i first made the switch

i kept clicking it as it wouldnt open, i learnt you had to wait 2 sec before it opened.

Reaction score
I noticed that about the airport icon (wireless) when i first made the switch

i kept clicking it as it wouldnt open, i learnt you had to wait 2 sec before it opened.

LOL...me too! I kept double clicking it for a few days.

Also, I reflexively look to the bottom right for the time and menu tray items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I'm a little surprised that some things don't just spring open when I click on them though. The wireless icon in the menu bar for example. Seems like it takes a second or two to expand, and in my mind my brand new system should just open the second I click on anything. =)

I did the same thing until I got used to it. I finally realized that it was refreshing the network list before it popped it out, which is actually faster than the XP method where you open the window and then click "Refresh Network List" to see the available networks.

Everything else seems pretty fast. I am a geek and had the same feelings about not knowing everything about OS X like I did with Windows. I'm slowly learning and tinkering, but Apple does an amazing job of making things work without having to know very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
if you click the apple icon in top left of screen - you can do software update straight from there.. congrats on your purchase

Reaction score
Grats on your purchase. I'm loving my new mbp too. So much so that it's a drag to use my pc haha.

Reaction score
Congrats on your new MBP. My new MBP just shipped in today. I love mine, too. What a sweet machine, eh?

OP
Thyamine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Thanks all. And thanks for the input, I did finally realize that there were a lot of 'things' under the Apple button on the menu including the updates. The wireless thing was bugging me though, but what you guys said makes sense. I now need to go through the other threads a little more carefully because I'm running into all the things that new people run into. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Speaking of switching from Windows to OS X, I find this list both helpful and humorous, since I made many of the "mistakes" it points out (the biggest of those is the double clicking on the title bar of a window when I want to make it larger, instead sending it to the dock). I still occasionally do that.

M

MacHeadCase

Matt, I sent your link to a friend of mine who might switch soon! Thanks for that, I think she'll find it useful! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Sweet! Thats where I bought mine!. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.