New MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2017 Getting hot easily

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my new MacBook Pro gets hot really easily above 70 degrees celsius when im not doing very much besides maybe browsing the web and having a few minor programs opened, I don't know if this is common, but I feel like the area above the Touch bar is too hot.

Earlier today I had an external monitor a 23 inch 1080p attached and it seemed like it was getting extremely hot as well, im not an expert but if it gets so hot when having a simple 1080 I cannot imagine how it must be to have two 4k UltraFine Displays connected?

Is there anyone who can enlighten me on whats a normal temperature for the newest MacBooks?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there anyone who can enlighten me on whats a normal temperature for the newest MacBooks?

Philosophically speaking...as with many things...there really is no "normal"...unless the conditions of "normal" are specifically defined. Without specifying exactly what "normal" is...one person's normal is not someone else's normal. Lol.

But more to the point...when the 70°C situation happens again...open up Activity monitor...and see where the the CPU resources are being used. You may find that there's an app or apps open or a video on a webpage being viewed...that's using a lot of CPU resources. And if this is the case...then the situation that you think is "normal"...may not be the "normal" you thought it was.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What matters the most is once the temps get higher, the fans should kick in to bring that down. My 15" 2017 MBP normally operates around 48-50C at "idle". As I begin to do things with the machine, the temps go up but the fans also kick in at a higher rate.

The area above the touchbar is where the vents are, it is SUPPOSED to be hot in that area and you should ensure that that area is clear to allow proper egress of hot air.

Having monitors plugged in should make the GPUs heat up, not as much on the CPUs. How are you tracking the temps?

OP
J
Reaction score
I use Monity to track. and yeah for sure maybe I had something opened that used a lot of power. Im glad to hear that the area around the Touch Bar usually gets hot and that its normal. I was just worried if this was an issue I had, I haven't had a laptop for 4 years so I don't really know what to expect.

next time it heats up I will check and see whats causing it. But every time I've checked it looks like only 10 % of the CPU is being used?

I read on another forum that the ''Automatic Graphics Switch'' under energy save, being Off would make it less hot. im not sure if this is the case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im glad to hear that the area around the Touch Bar usually gets hot and that its normal.

As member Raz0rEdge mentioned...this is an area where the hot air is vented...thus normal.:) Laptops & desktops both...have areas that are hotter & cooler to the touch. Simply a proximity thing to components inside that get hot...or where hot air is vented.

next time it heats up I will check and see whats causing it. But every time I've checked it looks like only 10 % of the CPU is being used?

Got to catch it at the right time...when it gets hot...check. You may find that this temp is the norm for this computer model & your usage patterns.:)

I read on another forum that the ''Automatic Graphics Switch'' under energy save, being Off would make it less hot. im not sure if this is the case.

Your MacBook Pro has dual graphics processor's. "Integrated" for less intensive stuff..."dedicated" for more intensive stuff. This auto switching "off" prevents the more powerful graphics hardware from being used...which will keep it cooler & use less battery energy if not plugged in. But...then you also lose the extra performance of the better graphics hardware. The computer was designed to use both graphics hardware as necessary. Personally I would not disable graphics switching if I had the computer plugged in. If I was running on battery power...then I might consider using it...if I knew I needed battery power to last a long time if I wasn't going to be able to recharge for an extended time.

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Hey Nick. Thank you very much for taking time to reply on this, I agree about the Graphics switch, its useable if my MBP isn't connected to the charger and therefore have to save battery, overall its a smart idea tho, very cool that you got this feature.

It seems like my MacBook is all good and that this is ''normal'' im glad that im not the only one experiencing this. Ill let you guys know once my Mac goes above 70C

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it's worth...I have a 17" 2011 MacBook Pro that I pretty much use all day long. Part of that daily use is online gaming...that I pop in every now & then for a bit of fun. My MacBook Pro is running at 75°C from about 7:30am till sometimes 1am (almost 16-18 hours a day)...with it's fans sometimes roaring away (and I have the burn marks on my legs to prove it...especially in the Summer)! LOL

Whether a 2017 15" MacBook Pro should normally run at 70°C is probably a different matter. Sounds to me that it gets hotter for periods of time...and then gets cooler for periods of time. If you're not doing anything "serious"...then I'm betting that it's running cooler during those periods...and when you're doing other more strenuous stuff...it runs hotter. This also assumes that you understand what computing tasks are easy...and which are strenuous.

For example:

- Interacting on Mac-Forums should be EASY for the computer. Assuming that nothing else is being done (no other apps open or other browser tabs open).
- Having many apps open...having many browser tabs open (some of them maybe on websites with complex activity)...and/or watching videos...are strenuous activities.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright Nick, but take a look at this. What does this tell you. Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 18.54.04.png

And the computer isn't doing much. I took this picture before my thread on the forum yesterday, so I didn't look at the Activity monitor. but 80 Degrees? Bruh.

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright so It turns out that Dropbox might have been the issue here. I was synching 4.000 files, while doing some Editing in the browser online, while having telegram, Spotify, safari, external monitor and charging at the same time. maybe this explains it. I read that when dropbox is doing large synchs like the one I did yesterday it takes a lot of CPU power.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright so It turns out that Dropbox might have been the issue here. I was synching 4.000 files, while doing some Editing in the browser online, while having telegram, Spotify, safari, external monitor and charging at the same time. maybe this explains it. I read that when dropbox is doing large synchs like the one I did yesterday it takes a lot of CPU power.

Nice job figuring things out. We knew something unusual must have been going on.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.