New macbook or replacement hard drive

Reaction score
I'm running a 2009 macbook pro 2.53 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8gb 1067 MHz DDR3. I am now on OS X 10.8.5 and using the adobe CS6 range, particularly photoshop and lightroom. Despite a fresh install a couple of weeks ago (I then upgraded the OS X and CS5 to CS6), it slows down considerably when editing photos. I'm thinking maybe time for a new macbook pro, but what spec would be best. I also edit video, but mostly photos, and I have to work to tight deadlines, so the regular 30 sec waits for photos to load is getting frustrating.

I have considered a SSD or hybrid drive to keep the machine going for another year or so, but thought I'd open it up to the forum.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are other functions bogging down such as when you're applying filters/effects? If not and it's just the load times a faster drive will help. With the price of SSDs though you might find it necessary to move files off the drive once you've finished with a project just to give yourself plenty of room for the next project.

Loading files from an SSD is usually far and away faster on an SSD than standard drive. My boot time was cut almost in half with just that switch. My machine is a 2008 MB Pro with a Core 2 Duo and 8 GB.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Despite a fresh install a couple of weeks ago (I then upgraded the OS X and CS5 to CS6), it slows down considerably when editing photos.

Newer versions of apps sometimes/many times can require more computing power. If you don't absolutely need CS6…and before you make a $1200+ new computer decision...I would reinstall CS5 and see of that makes a difference.

You could also check how full your hard drive is. If it's pretty full…that could be causing problems.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.