New Macbook - no Line In?

Reaction score
Hi Folks
Just a bought a new macbook to replace my stolen one.

Am making strange with some of the differences which I won't go into now, but one thing which really disappointed is the removal of the 'line in' jack input. The new macbook only has a 'headphone out' jack connection, and I've read somewhere that this is supposed to function as both a line in AND out. Can anyone confirm this?

If so I might be able to come up with a workaround. With my previous machine I was able to plug a mini jack into the 'headphones out' and connect the other end back through the 'line in'. This facilitated recording things in a certain way for me.

Can anyone suggest how will I be able to do this now? Would an ordinary splitter that plugs into the headphone jack on the new macbook allow me to loop signal out and back in at the same time?

Any help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen.

I did see mention of audio hijack ( which I believe you have to buy...), but before I went off having to get another application and figure that out I thought I'd see if anyone had tried running audio out and back in at the same time. I can't really see how removing the line in is an improvement in any way on the new mac ( they say it's to help make room for other advances in the internals..?)

Anyway, I'm hoping to get an answer here before going out and buying a splitter then finding it doesn't work for audio in / out at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, 2.1Ghz C2D, 1GB RAM, 500Gb HDD, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
it probably wont work, as the jack could only be a line in or out at one time, not at the same time, therefore it wont be sending things out whilst your trying to loop them back in or the other way around either,

id try software, or if your serious about your recording look for a usb external soundcard option on something along those lines

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
I can't really see how removing the line in is an improvement in any way on the new mac ( they say it's to help make room for other advances in the internals..?)

Probably because mostly everyone who is serious about recording doesn't use the line in because the audio quality in that is not the greatest. It would be better 2 get a interface of some type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I use the line in for direct guitar, keyboard, and vocals recording and get great sound quality on my MB and the line out for monitoring.
If I had only the one in/out combined jack, I would use the usb as I'd have no choice, however, I think it is a real mistake getting rid of individual in/out jacks.
This leaves my next mac upgrade a MBP no longer just a preference, but as a musician, a necessity. Even though the USB interface is a choice on occasion for me, individual input/output is a must have.

C

chas_m

For best quality, music should be captured to a digital device via a digital interface. Just sayin'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
LOL... you like "just sayin" :) and you are correct and "sayin it" well :)

Unless producing CD's, the quality you will get is indistinguishable if you know how to use your recording software well enough, even with Garageband.

Obviously, the way to go when it comes down to anything more than demos is pro tools, M audio, and the list of sound effects units, mixers, cables, etc goes on.
In saying that, I have an old fender rhodes electric piano, and the sound I get from that directly plugged in with a mini jack is as old school as the keyboard itself, and I'd hate to sacrifice that more than the digital recording already does.
The analog input gives it that rough live edge, as it does when I plug my electric or acoustic guitars directly into the analogue input.
It's good to have the choice, especially for quick easy setup on the road recordings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.