New Mac User, tried to auth two accounts

Reaction score
Hi All, Just switched from pc to Apple. So far I love it. The big problem we are having now is that I set up iTunes and authorized this computer for downloads. Last night my wife created a profile and transferred her purchases from her iPhone, and now it won't let me continue to download my movies. Says something to the effect that I will need to wait 90 days. Confused.....

C

chas_m

Yes, if you switch accounts in iTunes on the SAME USER ACCOUNT, you get that message as a security precaution (ie your machine might have been stolen).

Your wife needs to set up a separate user account, and use her iTunes account only when logged into her user account.

Or better yet, she needs her own machine.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes it is sad but true. You will now have to wait 90 days until the computer can be authorised in your account again.
If you go to iTunes Store, log in, go to Account (under your name) you will need to log in again. Click View Account, go to Manage Devices under iTunes in the Cloud and you will see your computer has a day countdown next to it and if I remember correctly a link to a page which explains why.
We have many queries about this issue. I believe it is because people think iTunes is like a website. It isn't. It is a native application intrinsically linked to your Apple ID, the iCloud and your computer registration with Apple not to mention your Apple user profile. This also applies to iChat, FaceTime and Find My iPhone. They all utilise unique device identifiers registered under your Apple ID.
Putting all Apple services and devices under one ID is convenient and improves security on the one hand but makes sharing difficult if not impossible. Your wife could have setup an Apple ID and profile using her iPhone only but doing that on your computer prevents her (or anyone else) from stealing your paid for Apps and Media.
So your computer remains associated with your account but becomes "Unauthorised" for your purchases for 90 days. Sorry there is really no way around this.
These days an iPhone is really a stand alone device requiring connection to iTunes only for backups or restore.

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of! 89 days and counting.....Thanks for the responses.....

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's what I was afraid of! 89 days and counting.....Thanks for the responses.....
I understand your frustration, believe me. The way Apple has gone about integration and security can cause a few problems. If you do everything the way they seem to expect everybody would have their own computer, registered under their own profile and authorised for iTunes downloads from their account. Then no problems would occur. It's when we start sharing devices that problems of this sort come up so you have to wonder is this just an unfortunate side effect or a deliberate move to make us buy more devices.
When you play by their rules like my wife and I who have separate computers and separate devices the system works very well but I feel sorry for the young family who can only afford one desktop Mac between 3 or 4 users. Yes you can setup separate logins and passwords for each member but because it is the machine itself that is registered with iTunes it means everyone needs to use the same iTunes account.
Do you have an Apple ID just for iTunes or do you trust everyone to use the Apple ID of one user? Tough question. Personally I prefer the the first alternative. The potential for conflicts with sharing one person (say Dad's) ID is unlimited especially when the kids get Apple devices of their own.
Still in my mind Apple have not tackled this issue adequately.:\

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes the learning curve has been steep, the iTunes issue seems like nothing now, compared to what I've done with my iPhoto folder, jeesh.......trying to set it up as shared and not having much luck.....working away at it....

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.