New mac user...advice would be much appreciated thanks!

E

emmatron

Well first of all seeing as this is my first post it'd be nice to say hello...so hello!

I'm a brand new mac user (why didn't I try em sooner :p) and I was just wondering is it necessary to run OS9 and OSX together as I was thinking of rebooting (is that the right word...sorry if I sound silly) the entire system and just doing a clean install of OSX because I don't use OS9.

This is a second hand iBook (didn't want to splash out in case I didn't like em LOL) but I have:
4 Software Restore discs
Mac OSX Install disc (10.1.4 but I'll download 10.2.8 again from apple)
Mac OS9 Install disc
Applications disc
In case you needed any of that info.

I'm also going to install 512MB more of memory too.

Sorry about the length, just giving you the info you might need LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can not download 10.2.8 from apples website unless you have 10.2 installed.

To do a clean install with just OS X you will insert your first restore CD
Restart the computer and hold down C as soon as it starts to boot. When you get to the screen asking for a drive to install to you are going to go to the options and choose a clean install. I can't remember where you disable to the OS9 install but it should be in one of those steps

OP
E

emmatron

Thanks very much for replying so quickly, I'll try that now! I downloaded 10.2.8 last week for free from apple's website...after doing a bit of searching I managed to find it! I think it was under iBook assistance or something similar to that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I would spring for 10.3.3 Panther is such an improvement.

Let us know (the board members) if you need any assistance.

Jerry

OP
E

emmatron

I decided to get Panther instead so I'm just waiting for that to come and then I'm going to install the extra memory when I have that sorted out! Thanks for the advice again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.