New Mac-Forums Bug Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

krs

Reaction score

Thanks,

That addresses one of my issues.
I can now save the screenshot in a designated folder rather than the desktop which helps a lot.

But I don't think there are options in screenshot for the others -
One to save the screenshot with my choice of file name before I actually save it - right now I have to open each screen shot, see what the image is, and then change the file name rather than assign a file name when I know what I want it to be (right after taking the screen shot)

The other issue I didn't mention before, at least not in this thread.
With Grab, when I chose selection, I get a cursor which identifies a corner of the potential screen shot.
I can look at the image where I want a screen shot of a selection, decide where I want one corner of it to be, move the cursor to that point (it also shows the co-ordinates, and click, then hold the mouse button down and drag it across to define the whole selection- basically one step.
With the screen shot option, the imagearea for the screen shot is preselected. I then have to grab one corner, say top left, to drag the image outline to the right spot and then do the same thing on the opposite diagonal corner.
Have not found a way to simplify that or emulate what Grab does.

Probably not an issue if one only uses a selective screen shot once in a while, but for some of my jobs I often need to do many selective screen shots of parts of the same image on the screen - Grab works much quicker than the "new and improved..."

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does the change affect the iOS and iPadOS apps? Neither seemed to be able to load any pages from the new software. Found the site, I think, but I got an eternally spinning icon.

This is being worked on as we speak. Thanks for mentioning it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
This is being worked on as we speak. Thanks for mentioning it.

- Nick
Good to know. Now it won't let me log in at all, so something's changing. I'll wait for the announcement it's ready.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good to know. Now it won't let me log in at all, so something's changing. I'll wait for the announcement it's ready.

Thanks Jake. I see Nick has already answered your question, however, you might be able to access our forums by using the plain jane TapaTalk app for iOS. It's free for the basic version and should work. As a matter of fact, I'm going to test it out here in a bit. Of course it's not specific for our forums but strictly generic for all forums.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, sorry Jake. I just tried TapaTalk to access our forums and it gave me the same error message as our Mac-Forums app gives. We will just have to wait until it's fixed.

In the meantime, if you have an iPad, you can access the forums the same way from your browser as you're doing now.

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There’s a problem at the bottom of the Home page, under the Latest Posts column, at least when viewed in Safari on my iPad Air 2. The first screenshot shows the thread title formatted as if each line only has room for 1 character. This is when viewed at 100% font scaling. Screenshot 2 is more normal, with the font scaling reduced to 85%.

View attachment 31761

View attachment 31762

Reaction score
Ok, so apparently embedded images on threads from before the update are all broken? In looking back over some of my threads/posts, I notice that either:

1. an image I've never seen before is showing instead of what I embedded
EXAMPLE
: https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/...ultaneous-charging-audio.357132/#post-1852417
(should be a picture of an Anker Bluetooth adapter with a quarter next to it to compare its size)

2. Instead of the embedded image, I see a "View attachment xxxxx" link (where xxxxx is a number), but when I click it, it opens an unrelated image I've never seen before
EXAMPLE
: https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/...ed-to-projector-via-hdmi.357373/#post-1853389
(should be pictures my projected MacBook Air desktop on a wall)

3. Instead of the embedded image, I see a "View attachment xxxxx" link (where xxxxx is a number), but when I click it, I get a "The requested page could not be found" page
EXAMPLE
: https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/what-gives-with-apples-new-icon.357483/#post-1853957

Last edited:
Reactions: IWT
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello usagora (Jonathan),

This is a very important issue...and it is currently being investigated. Thanks very much for making us aware of it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a bug, but an annoyance (to me, anyway). In "New Posts" the RSS feed fills up the list. Is there a way to block the "New Post" function from showing every RSS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Not a bug, but an annoyance (to me, anyway). In "New Posts" the RSS feed fills up the list. Is there a way to block the "New Post" function from showing every RSS?
No, that's why I don't subscribe to it.

I guess you can use the "Mark forum read" feature, but I don't know if the RSS feed is a separate forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't subscribe to it either, but it still fills up "New Posts" with all the crapola.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don't subscribe to it either, but it still fills up "New Posts" with all the crapola.
That's strange, since I don't get them. At the top of the posts in New Posts, there is an option to only view unread posts. Did you select that? If so, then you would only need to view the RSS threads once, and they will be marked as read, and won't appear in the New Posts, unless there is a reply to them.

See this,

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 9.49.53 AM.png

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

We had this set up pretty well with the old forum...looks like with the migration to the new forum...the settings may not have migrated exactly. Will definitely investigate this & get it resolved. Got a number of things on the to-do list...hang in there.:)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: Wanted everyone to know the bug reported by member usagora earlier in this thread should be resolved.

This bug was where threads from the old forum (if they had embedded images within thread posts)...the images weren't visible to the naked eye & they were turned into links. If the links were clicked on...the linked image would be an image totally unrelated to the thread topic/posts.

This issue should now be resolved.

Please keep in mind...this fix was completed at approximately 12:15am EDT last night. If you experienced something like this yesterday before that time...that would have been before the bug fix.

Thanks,

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
Wanted everyone to know the bug reported by member usagora earlier in this thread should be resolved.

Just checked - definitely resolved for me for all the three examples posted by usagora.
Great job!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just checked - definitely resolved for me for all the three examples posted by usagora.

Awesome...thanks for checking & confirming.:) I also checked at least 50 other threads before declaring the fix a fix!

With over 1.7 million posts on the forum...can't check them all! LOL

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
@Nick - Take a look over here

Rod's post yesterday that showed the image of the web page screen shot with the Brave browser extension has now changed to something totally different.
I wonder if that is related to this "image fix" creating a new problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's strange, since I don't get them. At the top of the posts in New Posts, there is an option to only view unread posts. Did you select that? If so, then you would only need to view the RSS threads once, and they will be marked as read, and won't appear in the New Posts, unless there is a reply to them.

See this,

View attachment 31840
Bob, the point was that I don't want to have to read all the RSS threads to make them go away. I don't want to see them, period. As Nick said, on the old board you could indicate you didn't want to see them, but on the new, no options are there, yet. But as he said in post #53, it is on the "to-do" list.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Nick - Take a look over here

Rod's post yesterday that showed the image of the web page screen shot with the Brave browser extension has now changed to something totally different.
I wonder if that is related to this "image fix" creating a new problem.

I did see that...and was scratching my head what was up. That post was at 10:55pm EDT (before the fix)...thus was hoping it would be cured after the fix. Since so many other threads & posts I checked this morning (after the fix) were fine...I'm hoping this situation is a rare anomaly.

With 1.7+ million posts on the forum...you can image how many embedded image files there must be. If the majority of them are working fine now (with only a few anomalies)...we should be in great shape. From what I understand...no migration like this is 100% perfect.

But if we do start finding more than might be considered rare (maybe they share a related issue)...then this fix may need to be revisited.

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Just in case someone does discover some image issues with older threads...keep in mind that many embedded images were hosted on various image hosting sites over the years like Flickr, Photobucket, etc. If the members that linked these images closed those accounts or deleted the images from these image hosting site accounts...then these images are no longer available to display. In these siuations...you may receive an "error page" or an "Oops page".

krs

Reaction score
I did see that...and was scratching my head what was up. That post was at 10:55pm EDT (before the fix)...thus was hoping it would be cured after the fix.
Just to be sure everything is clear.

Rod's post was done yesterday in the new forum and the attached image was fine then.
So there was nothing to be fixed/cured in that case.
If anything, the fix for images from the old forum perhaps seems to have affected brand new images in the new forum

ie - in this case it has nothing to do with migration from the old forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.