New iPod user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Bought new iPod touch, 32GB, iOS 7, A5 chip.
Never used one before.
Is there a stylus I can use as the numbers letters are awful small for my fat fingers?
Is there a book you can recommend to buy to learn how to use my iPod?
Plan on using it mainly to download music from iTunes and add from my library and sync it with bluetooth in my SUV so I can play it instead of burning CDs.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, how do I add it to my iMac in my profile?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, how do I add it to my iMac in my profile?

Click the User CP link in gray near the top of the page. When the next page appears click the Edit details link on the left side of the page. When the next page appears the box for system specs will be at the bottom of the page. Don't forget to click the save button when you're done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Bought new iPod touch, 32GB, iOS 7, A5 chip.
Never used one before.
Is there a stylus I can use as the numbers letters are awful small for my fat fingers?
Is there a book you can recommend to buy to learn how to use my iPod?
Plan on using it mainly to download music from iTunes and add from my library and sync it with bluetooth (BT) in my SUV so I can play it instead of burning CDs.

Hello again - I have an old iPod Touch 2G which I carried my MP3 music on for years when we traveled - used BT headphones and small portable BT speaker - worked great. The newest iPod should have come w/ iOS 8.x, so not sure why yours is at iOS 7 but you may want to consider upgrading to the newer version. Apple support has plenty of 'free' manuals for their iDevices, so just check their website, e.g. here's the current iPod User's Guide for iOS 8.3 - you could also search Amazon for iPod books - I had an old one - BTW, I now have all of my music on my new iPad Air 2, so I need to just carry one device along on trips.

As to a 'stylus', any of the big electronic stores, such as Best Buy, or the Office stores should carry plenty of options, or just check Amazon HERE - I have a couple that are also ballpoint pens w/ the stylus located at the eraser end. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the iPod from COSTCO so maybe I should return it and buy the iPad Air 2 instead. I do find the iPod quite small, although the iPod nano was even smaller, and the iPad Air 2 may be a better fit. All I'm looking for is mainly something to play music and to sync via Bluetooth with my SUV. I really am ignorant on the Apple iPad , iPod, etc. Just getting comfortable with my iMac thanks to all the help I've received on this forum.
The iPod screen is way to small to search the web. One last question: How do I erase/change or get rid of the passcode I used for the iPod before I return it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the iPod from COSTCO so maybe I should return it and buy the iPad Air 2 instead. I do find the iPod quite small, although the iPod nano was even smaller, and the iPad Air 2 may be a better fit. All I'm looking for is mainly something to play music and to sync via Bluetooth with my SUV. I really am ignorant on the Apple iPad , iPod, etc. Just getting comfortable with my iMac thanks to all the help I've received on this forum.
The iPod screen is way to small to search the web. One last question: How do I erase/change or get rid of the passcode I used for the iPod before I return it?

Hello again - the iPad Air 2 replaced two iDevices for me (an old iPod Touch & an iPad 2) - have over 100 hrs of music, read books & magazine subscriptions, and use many other apps - you can look @ the iPad Mini which my wife owns and loves, but would not suit me for reading - sounds like you might be happier w/ the larger screen iDevice.

As to your last question on the passcode, simply go into Settings where you can 'turn off' that feature; also, take a good look at this Apple Support Article on what you need to do when selling or giving away an iDevice (I guess returning one would also apply) - keep us informed! Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Returned the iPod touch. Bought an iPad Air 2. 64GB. Typing on it now. I like how the toe moves from vertical to horizontal. Was unable to set up fingerprint. Gave up after many tries.
Question? When typing, if I make an error, do I have to erase everything by hitting the backspace arrow or is there an easier way to do it? Also, when trying to input my credit card for Apple pay, I could not figure out how to bring back theQwerty screen. How can I do that without exiting the screen I am on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Returned the iPod touch. Bought an iPad Air 2. 64GB. Typing on it now. I like how the toe moves from vertical to horizontal. Was unable to set up fingerprint. Gave up after many tries.

Well, you bought the same iPad that I upgraded to early last December and have loved the experience - KEEP working on the 'fingerprint technology' - it's wonderful and a feature that I use daily - I have 3 of my right hand fingers entered - just a click of the home button leaving your finger in place opens the device, i.e. no need for a passcode entry; purchases through the App Store saves the bother of entering your password - it's the 'cat's meow'! :)

Question? When typing, if I make an error, do I have to erase everything by hitting the backspace arrow or is there an easier way to do it? Also, when trying to input my credit card for Apple pay, I could not figure out how to bring back theQwerty screen. How can I do that without exiting the screen I am on?

Please download the Apple iPad iOS 8.3 Guide - plenty of information there about the questions above. If you plan to do a LOT of typing on the iPad, then I would suggest considering a BT (Bluetooth) keyboard - I've had the one from Apple for 4 years, and usually use on trips or if I want to do a lot on entry into a database (such as our recipe program, Paprika). Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Downloaded and printed out all 166 pages. I prefer to have a printed doc. that I can refer to so I can flag certain sections. Plus if my iPad dies i'll still have the documentation available.
Don't plan on doing a lot of typing, but would my iMac bluetooth wireless keyboard work with this iPad?
Still have that. My wireless mouse died so i'm using a wired mouse. Did try to freeze the wireless mouse but couldn't revive it. Thanks for the help. Pete

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It should work with few if any problems. The one catch is that most Bluetooth devices, including many keyboards, pair with one thing at a time. This means that you couldn't use the keyboard simultaneously with both the iPad and computer. There are some keyboards that support this feature though.

I've seen a method that should pair a Mac keyboard with more than one device and it should work with iPads. It has been a bit unreliable for some though. Essentially it involves the following:

1. Initiate the pairing process on the computer. Choose the option that lets you create the passcode.
2. Write down the password that you created and complete the pairing process on the computer.
3. Now move the keyboard out of range of the computer and begin the pairing process. When asked for a passcode use the one you wrote down earlier. Complete the pairing process.

When this works well the keyboard works with the device that is in range and has bluetooth enabled (on). It doesn't work with all devices and behavior is erratic when both devices are in range of the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.