New iPhone with Verizon setup

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That brought a lot of negative feedback for Apple. Plus when they announced the extra $30 charge for other carriers, the response was overwhelming, so much so that Apple came off the $30 fee.
What I read is that the $30 was a rebate from Verizon that the other carriers didn't offer at that time, but did by launch day. So it wasn't Apple who added any fee that was rescinded, but the carriers who added a rebate later. It did get some bad feedback, though.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Mark:

If it's not broke.... Is there any special reason why you want to do the setup again?
+1. If it's working, leave it alone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Adventure computing" Interesting term, there, Sly. Is that something similar to "Naked and Afraid?"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is that something similar to "Naked and Afraid?"

Hey Jake:

Sly is not allowed to watch that program. SWMBO is very strict in his household. :rofl

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SWMBO here has the same rule. I just know the title. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hey Jake:

Sly is not allowed to watch that program. SWMBO is very strict in his household. :rofl
In the case of that particular program that''s my rule. SWMBO does, however, think that most of my viewing choices reflect incredibly poor taste on my part.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the rule for ALL of the SWMBOs, AFAIK.

Reaction score
I had never heard of "Naked and Afraid." I looked it up just now.

Pretty racy. I may have to forbid myself from watching it. ;)

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the ads, they blur out the naughty bits. Stupid concept, IMHO (not the blur, the whole show).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Is this just for US versions, i.e. with the faster 5G, or only for iPhone12?

I bought an iPhone SE (new version) and that setup automatically from my existing iPhone Xr without any problems. This is in UK on EE.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this just for US versions, i.e. with the faster 5G, or only for iPhone12?

We're just learning about 5G requirements for setup and activation. It appears that some carriers require using a special sim card for 5G. The iPhone 12 is the only iPhone model that can receive 5G signals.

We have no idea what you will need to do for 5G there in the UK. However, as stated, only the iPhone 12 is 5G ready. (Not counting Androids.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5"4K, MBP 15" wTB
Thanks for the information. My iPhone 12 Pro arrives today from Verizon. Maybe you will save me hours. I'll go manual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro. I purchased it outright and kept my old iPhone as I have a buyer for it. All I did was select my carrier for a new sim chip. I did not want to take a chance the old one would not access 5G. They never asked me for my phone number. I picked it up at the local Apple store (the one with intense covid screening and you don't get to go in! "Wait in the tent please!" )

My carrier is Sprint (which will one day be fully converted to T-Mobile). I had none of the problems you had. I did the whole automated setup and it went very smoothly. I did not turn off my wifi. And when it was done I called my cell number from another phone to see what would happen. Both phones rang! Weird but interesting. I did not try answering either one.

Next, I logged into my Sprint account and went through their menus to transfer my number to a new phone. I had to put in the IMEI number of the new SIM and that was it. I had no problems. 15 minutes later the only phone that showed a call coming in was the new one. Easy peasy!

The whole setup took about an hour and most of that was waiting on my stuff to transfer.

Sorry you had such an experience Jake! This is not the first story I have heard about Verizon and setting up a device. I guess there have been tons of issues for people setting up watches. For what they charge you would think they would offer better setup services.

BTW: I don't watch those kinds of shows! And I control the remote! (Most of the time. :rofl )

Lisa

Reaction score
what swirly blue dots?? :oops::rolleyes:
I'm having so much trouble with APPLE right now ... since Sept ... I can't even THINK about getting the 12... they give me enough trouble with everything else!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The whole setup took about an hour and most of that was waiting on my stuff to transfer.

According to T-Mobile support, current Sprint and T-Mobile customers will automatically get 5G without an additional cost and no activation fees. They list which phones are 5G ready such as the iPhone 12, Galaxy models and one Motorola model.

By the way Lisa, the Sprint stores here in Fort Worth have already converted to T-Mobile with new store fronts and signs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
According to T-Mobile support, current Sprint and T-Mobile customers will automatically get 5G without an additional cost and no activation fees. They list which phones are 5G ready such as the iPhone 12, Galaxy models and one Motorola model.

By the way Lisa, the Sprint stores here in Fort Worth have already converted to T-Mobile with new store fronts and signs.

Yes all our stores say T-Mobile on them but there is still two websites - one for T-mobile and one for Sprint. My iPhone still shows Sprint as the network but from what I read eventually that will switch over. I just hope I get to keep my plan or T-mobile has one as cheap with all the bells and whistles I currently have.

My new iPhone had 5G show up immediately - in the largest town in my county and also along the interstate. At my house - I am thrilled to get two bars and maybe LTE. The 5G is not a blazing fast in my area as others have reported - 85 down /22 up but that is way better than I get at home!

But I have noticed when I purchase new tech setting up the cellular with Sprint is super easy. I have not only our two iPhones but also my Watch 6 and iPad Pro on my Sprint plan. When I got my new Watch the setup process simply asked if I wanted to transfer my cell connection to the new watch. When I said yes, it did everything for me. Adding a cell plan to the iPad was also done during the setup and it appeared on my Sprint bill the next month.

Why Verizon can not be that easy is beyond me. They are a much bigger company and certainly charge enough.

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what swirly blue dots?? :oops::rolleyes:
I'm having so much trouble with APPLE right now ... since Sept ... I can't even THINK about getting the 12... they give me enough trouble with everything else!
When you replace an iPhone with another iPhone, the directions from Apple are to put the two in close proximity and they discover each other wirelessly. At that point the new one starts to show an animation of swirls of blue dots. You hold the old one where the camera can see the swirls of dots to confirm that these are the two phones to swap information and the process begins. That process is the "Quick Start" method. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

What happened to me is that I followed that direction and in the earliest data transfer my old iPhone passed the WiFi information to the new one and it connected. However, at that point it was not yet activated by Verizon. But Verizon doesn't authenticate by WiFi, only cellular. Given that the OS will use the fastest connection for data (which is what activation is), it was activating by WiFi, which doesn't work. And I couldn't turn off WiFi because I couldn't get past the activation to be able to get to the Settings menu to turn off WiFi. Eventually the Verizon tech had me power off my WiFi router so that even if it knew about the WiFi and had the password, it would not connect and would provide me the option to continue using cellular instead of WiFi.

Other vendors apparently activate by WiFi just fine, so the process works for them. But a Verizon user should either use the Manual method to set up, or set up with no WiFi anywhere nearby that the old iPhone knows about.

Hope that helped explain it. Here is Apple's full article on transferring to a new iPhone:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.