New iPhone with Verizon setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Thanks @MacInWin...

My SWMBO soon to receive her 12 Pro, for the Magenta carrier. She does not use iCloud for anything that I am aware of.

The plan is to backup her old iPhone with iMazing, move the SIM card over to the new one, start/set it up and restore the data from backup. I don't see why this process would not work. The fall back is to move the SIM card back to the old iPhone.

About the WiFi connection... Most of the WiFi access points have encryption via WPA-PSK. If you enable MAC address filtering on the WiFi router, the new iPhone will not be able to connect, even if it gets the WPA-PSK from the old iPhone.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Cr00zng, it's even easier than your process. Back up the old, then use the "Quick Start" from the link I gave in the previous post. On the Magenta network that seems to work just fine. The Quick Start seems to transfer phone-to-phone and as I recall, was a bit quicker than the backup/restore approach. Maybe that's why they called it "quick?"

As for the router, it was just easier to unplug it and drop all of the connection to get it activated, then plug it back in once done. Your suggestion should work, though. I could also have gotten in my car with the new iPhone and driven down the street to where I am out of range of my WiFi and let it activate, but the router is right here where I was working on it and it turned out to be not much hassle to just unplug it for a few minutes. It was the frustration of getting to that point that took a lot of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacInWin, I did look at the "Quick Start" and it did not seem suitable for my needs. I'd need to change the WiFi router's settings in order to allow the new iPhone to connect to the network. Yes, my WiFi router does have MAC address filtering. Hence the reason that MAC address filtering has been suggested.

While I'll add the new iPhone's MAC address to the router anyway, I was not certain that I can get the new iPhone's MAC prior to setting it up.

The "Quick Start" does not state what is actually copied over from the old iPhone. The process is rather vague when it comes to that. It would be nice to know, if emails and accounts settings are moved over as well. For one account it should not be an issues, but this one has seven or eight email accounts. iMazing has no issues with restoring that many email accounts.

I did learn from the "Quick Start" link, that it is using WiFi network to move data around. While WiFi networks are relatively fast, it's probably not faster, than the USB 3.1 Type-C connection to the PC. The USB 3.1 has a nominal transfer rate of 10 Gbps, that is faster than any WiFi network. Especially my WiFi network that is 5-6 years old...

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used the Quick Start in the past and it worked very well. This year, not so well. I'm in the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program where I pay 1/24th of the cost each month for two years, get eligible for a trade in after 12 months, so basically I get a new iPhone every year by just paying what I think of as "rental" on the phone. So I do the swap more frequently than most folks. The Quick Start in previous years transferred everything flawlessly, including all email accounts (I have four), all calendar and information, all my logins and just about everything but the OS. Even my history in some games I play, along with my playlists and recent music played. Basically, at the end of the process the new was exactly like the old, even to the placement of app icons. So, I expected it to work this year as well. But apparently Verizon changed processes internally that broke the transfer. So now, for Verizon, Manual is the better choice because you can activate and then do the slower transfer via backup/restore. it's entirely your call, but as far as I have been able to determine, only Verizon requires no WiFi connection before activation.

Good luck with iMazing. I used to have it, got rid of it because of some serious issues I had with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good luck with iMazing. I used to have it, got rid of it because of some serious issues I had with it.

I was going to chime in and mention the same thing to @Cr00zng. I'll just add my sentiments to yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I share your sentiment about iMazing, when it comes to updating the iOS version. In other postings, I did detailed my frustration with iMazing, when it comes to version updates.

On the other hand, for backing up and restoring an iPhone, iMazing works just fine for me. If this feature goes haywire, I will dump iMazing as well. My iPhone is also backed up by iTunes, in case iMazing backup/restore dies.

AFAIK, there's no better app for moving data to/from the iDevice, than iMazing. This isn't as much of an importance for people who use iCloud for backup and synchronizing across iDevices.

I don't use iCloud storage, my current iCloud utilization is 75.5 MB of 5 GB free storage, fully intend to keep it that way...

Reaction score
I don't use iCloud storage, my current iCloud utilization is 75.5 MB of 5 GB free storage, fully intend to keep it that way...

What's the reason? Is there something wrong with iCloud? I haven't used it in the past because I figured it was hack-able, and it would be easier for me to try to keep my laptop secure without iCloud having all my personal data. No, I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I back up my iOS devices both to my Mac and to iCloud. Of course that means I need to buy extra storage from Apple. The 50GB option is only $.99/month, so that's certainly not going to break my budget.

There's nothing wrong with using iCloud for backup or storage/syncing.

Reaction score
Off-Topic: Cute Halloween stuff on the forum. I like it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the reason? Is there something wrong with iCloud? I haven't used it in the past because I figured it was hack-able, and it would be easier for me to try to keep my laptop secure without iCloud having all my personal data. No, I don't know what I'm doing anymore.
There's nothing wrong with iCloud, like you, I just don't trust cloud based services with my data either. In addition, availablity of these services is questionable, be that my or others internet connections.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Wow Jake, I feel for you. It's so annoying when there is simply noone to complain to or inform.
My SE 2020 was so simple in comparison. Turned my old phone off. Swapped the SIM to the new phone, turned it on and set up as a new iPhone. I then connected it to my MBP via USB and did a restore to the new phone from my last backup.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All my previous transfers were equally painless. Verizon changed something and now it takes the non-automatic process to transfer. Maybe next time I'll move to a different cell company...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Jake -

Sorry to hear about your difficulties; I learned a lot from it which, in part, was your intent. Thanks very much.

Best,
Rich

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.