New intel system board for G5 I mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
I was told the other day by a quote, unquote computer geek, that he could put a new dual core system board in my old G5 I mac.
Has anyone tried this or know if it can be done?

Mine is the last model of the G5 I mac before apple went to intel boards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So you own the iMac G5 iSight model. I own the same machine. I seriously doubt the Intel board will fit. I do know that last iMac G5 with the iSight camera was very similar layout wise to the first generation intel version of the iMac. I own service manuals for those two system and will look and see what I can find.

Knowing Apple though, I doubt it will be that easy! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have never heard of someone doing this...or having it done to their old G5 iMac. I'm not saying 100% that it cannot be done...but in all likelihood it cannot. Logic board shapes & designs change...and the electrical requirements change. And many times financially...it makes more sense to just sell the old G5 iMac...and purchase the newer Intel iMac.

You can find just about anything on the internet. Do a detailed search. If this project has been done previously...more than likely someone has "bragged" about it somewhere!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I completely Agree with Nick's advice. I will check for the fun of it though but I feel he is correct.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's always at least one person who will attempt this sort of project (probably 100's)...and if successful...they certainly should have "bragging rights"...especially if the project cost significantly less than buying the same model Intel iMac.:) And someone (if successful) will have probably written about it somewhere (internet forum, webpage, YouTube video, etc.).

Since it's been 5 years or so since Intel iMac's were first released (and Intel iMac logic boards available for the project)...I would have expected to have seen something by now if this project were possible.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh if only that were true we would have all gone that way righturn. Only way is to lash out on an Intel model.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
Thanks

for all the replies, I agree with all, cost, etc, fit and finish. Yes it is an isight, my lady had to have a new mac, bought is within a week or two of the intel chip versions. I was not a mac guy then, and did not follow the apple boards anywhere, I do now LOL. The only real problem i have had with it it will not do Picassa or other similar web sites.
The computer guy, was well versed and experienced, he said it would not cost that much, but, is it or would it really be worth it. I still have newer apple computers, I pads etc but to make such a drastic change at that time without regards to clients needs or future needs is, well, poor service to them.

C

chas_m

I feel really, really certain that if it was possible/practical to do this, we'd have heard about businesses doing them by the MILLIONS by now, as every G5 owner IN THE WORLD would love to have this option available to them.

So I'm gonna say no, it's not possible/practical to do this. You'll need to buy a newer model Mac (given that the last PPC Macs came out in early 2007, ie five years ago, you're overdue for one anyway).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Having been inside my 1st gen Intel iMac, the version immediately after yours, I highly doubt you'd be able to do that just from a space perspective. Things are tight in there, and unless the motherboard and all components were exactly the same size, down to the height of the components on the board, it won't fit. For that matter, every iMac version has a different layout. It's like a puzzle to make it all fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tell your computer guy he knows nothing about Macs.

If it had been possible all of us here would have done it yonks ago!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry, I would have for one when my iMac G5 iSight died due to many bad Caps. But alas! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.