• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New/improved Mac Processor for MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a new Mac Pro laptop. I've been told there is a new and/or improved processor for these laptops coming out soon. Has anyone heard anything on this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Yes.. it is true... the macbook pro's will be getting new AND improved processors. Absolutely TRUE!!

NO one has any for sure answer as to WHEN though :D

My own personal opinion is that they will be updated/upgrade during WWDC on June 11th... if you don't NEED it right now.. I would wait less than 1 month... just my $0.02.

Reaction score
God, I wish I knew that (I just bought another mac a macbook pro, I had a macbook but it got put back in the box for a birthday present for my son)... what's the change going to be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have no idea what the change will be for sure... I would expect it to be equipped with "Santa Rosa" for faster FSB... with an outside chance of having LED displays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, here's the scoop.

Apple doesn't generally tell the public anything until after they have released the new products. You'll know it when the rest of us do.

Take a seat, calm down, breath deep...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB DDR, 160GB 7200rpm SATA, Super Drive
I would guess...

...there will be a quad core offering by the end of the year, possibly styled after the new Sony Vaio with dual 32GB flash and 160GB SATA? Thats if Apple wants to stay ahead of the market ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The rumor is that Apple with use LED backlighting and the latest revision to the Core 2 Duo CPU, that should scale up to 2.4GHz and use an 800mhz FSB. The LED backlighting is still a fairly new technology, so I think a wait and see approach is advisable. Your backlight can greatly effect the quality of the display.

Again, this is nothing more than RUMOR. If you need a new machine right now, just buy it. Unless the LED backlight dramatically increases battery life (it should), I'm probably going to wait and see the reviews. I don't generally like buying first-generation technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
...there will be a quad core offering by the end of the year, possibly styled after the new Sony Vaio with dual 32GB flash and 160GB SATA? Thats if Apple wants to stay ahead of the market ;D

Wouldn't that be nice! How about compressing 2 64GB SSD drives and no HDD. That and LED backlight would probably give you at least 10 hours of battery life!! :D

I don't see LED backlighting coming any time soon as there's a lot of speculation about how it affects the way the screen looks and it's more expensive to make. It would be nice to see them offer up one of those big honkin' 250GB HDD's as an upgrade option.

I wouldn't go too crazy about missing a processor upgrade, especially if you're like 90% of computer users who don't use their current processor to it's fullest potential anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB DDR, 160GB 7200rpm SATA, Super Drive
Fear with flash

I fear integration of flash into the Mobo. Meaning replacing a system board as opposed to just the drive itself. Having a dual set up means the system can run from one the other or both depending on user preference. unless all in one boards bring the price way down. Then it will be worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.