New iMac switch from PC

Reaction score
Hello my name is Rod i am trying to find information regarding imac 1.83ghz Core 2 processor with 2GB Ram? I currently own a PC with 2.4ghz core 2 processor and 3GB ram i would like to know if switching over to the mac would be beneficial for me kind of a Vs. thing. I am interested in running Logic Studio with this or logic express. I currently run Reaper and have some issues with pops and clicks during playback. My real question would this imac with these specs out work my Pc with the listed specs or am i just wasting money? I would like to go with a new Mac but my Digital mixer will not work with the new OS and will only work with Leopard and previous OS's. Please any help on this topic would be appreciated as i know absolutely nothing about macs other than they are used quite heavily in the Audio/Visual industry.

OP
N
Reaction score
come on guys one of you mac guru's should be able to answer this question for me PLEASE???

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Gosh; there is more to your question than meets the eye.

Firstly, your Digital Mixer greatly limits you in OS (Leopard which I'm not sure is still supported?), and Leopard limits your choice of processor and te amount of RAM available.

You are quite correct — Macs are widely used in the A/V arena and many regard Macs as the Gold Standard.

For what you want to do, you need a decent processor and a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. Many would suggest 8 GB nowadays.

So my question to you is: how important is your specific Digital Mixer or, would it be horribly expensive to replace it. In fact do you need to if you go with the iMac?

IMacs, even with Snow Leopard (rather than the latest Lion), offer excellent i5 processors or i7 if you can run to that. Along with, say, 8 GB RAM, you would have a terrific system which would do all your photo and movie editing just fine.

What I'm saying I guess, is that you can't mix and match, borrowing bits of one system and others from a completely different system. Yes, you can run Windows on Macs in a number of different ways, but again I think you would need a more recent machine to get the performance you want.

Let others come in now and agree or shoot me down.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.