New Imac 27" i7...

Reaction score
howdy people, well ive owned macs for about 15 years now and never joined a mac forum, strange hey!

Well i recently bought a new iMac i7, bit the bullet and thought might aswell go for it.

So it came and all was ok, looks nice all the usual, now im slowly migrating all my work over, i use it for work and personal, mostly design using photoshop illustrator and the likes.

Well after a few days of using it i am already having great issues with the "magic mouse"

Basically it is just too flat!

Its hard to explain but i will try my best, if you can imagine the old mouse it had a dome shape, so i sat my hand on the mouse and main weight was dropped on the peak of the mouse (top of the dome as such) and my fingers sat around and i clicked away when needed.

Now the big problem i have is where to put my hand when using this mouse?? if i rest it on the mouse, as it is flat, the peaks of my fingers hang off the end.

so to actually comfortably hold the mouse, is near impossible, to get a good clicking method, i have to hold the mouse as such like a spider stance, all my fingers surrounding it and my index finger cocked to do the clicking.

i already have aches in my hand as it is such a bad way to hold it

I may get used to it with time but i have just used my old mouse on it and i am freely moving much better already.

I know the mouse is getting alot of good feedback, but i just cant use it!

and to add to my annoyance, i tried to go on apples discussion groups to post this message and when it asks you to register i fill the info in, submit, and it just refreshes the page and wont allow me to do anything.

Again, just annoying to add to the already growing list of problems!

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It sounds like you are just venting about the Magic Mouse. Apple's mouse have always had a love it or hate it relationship with users. I haven't really been a big fan of Apple's mice but everyone has their own preference. If you don't like the Magic Mouse then no one is forcing you to use it. You don't have to use everything Apple makes. :)

I don't have an opinion about the Magic Mouse because I haven't yet used one. I have a Logitech mouse myself since I've hated Apple mice in the past. My MBP has trackpad gestures so I don't feel the need for a Magic Mouse. If you like your old mouse better then why not just use it?

OP
D
Reaction score
well yeah i will no doubt resort to using my old mouse or a different one, but its just a bit annoying that they seem to have "lost" their way with their design.

I was more just curious if anyone else has the same problems as i do, its just annoying to buy something new and have to resort to using its predecessor.

C

chas_m

I don't know since I don't have one myself, but surely in the mouse system preference panel you can set the mouse to act as just a "regular" two-button mouse, turning off the "trackpad-like features"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The Magic Mouse was awkward for a couple of days for me, but I quickly adjusted to it. I now prefer it over any other mice I have used. When I have to do something on my boyfriends Windows computer, I catch myself trying to do the multi-touch gestures on his mouse. It is a matter of personal preference as to what type of mouse you like and is comfortable for you. I don't, however, believe that they "lost their way" with the design though.

Erik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
well yeah i will no doubt resort to using my old mouse or a different one, but its just a bit annoying that they seem to have "lost" their way with their design.

I was more just curious if anyone else has the same problems as i do, its just annoying to buy something new and have to resort to using its predecessor.
There will be people who will argue that Apple has lost their way a lot time ago when it comes to mouse designs. ;) I never liked their Pro Mouse nor their Mighty Mouse. Their "hockey puck" mouse was probably the worst. (Google it if you want to know what I'm talking about)

You are also not the only person I've heard who have complained about the flatness of the Magic Mouse so you are not alone. But to be fair I think they designed it that way so that it will be easier to do finger gestures on it. I don't believe they intended people to place their whole hand over the mouse. I've been told the proper way to use the Magic Mouse is to have your palm rested on the table and move the mouse around with your fingers tips which then makes it easier to do finger gestures on the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. Macbook, 27"iMac
I have a love/hate relationship with mine... Its nice, but sometimes when Im working on a photoshop or indesign doc I'll swipe it and it will take off across the page... for the most part I enjoy it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.