• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New G5?

D

d4rr3n

Sorry to go off on a rant here :D I'm considering purchasing a g5 when they release the new models (would be my first mac). They need to release a major update soon (crossing my fingers for dual 3ghz and FASTER RAM and a good video card) or drop the price on the top g5 model. $3000 for a dual 2ghz with 512mb of ddr400 and a radeon 9600pro is ridiculous. The components of the g5 excluding the mobo and cpus can be had for about $700 (probably a little less). That leaves $2,300 for the cpu and mobo. They are essentially charging over $1,000 per cpu, which makes them easily the most expensive desktop cpu around......and you have to buy 2 of them. Keep in mind that the p4 3.2 and a64 3200+ which the g5's were always benchmarked against (and nobody could agree which were better) sell for $260 now. Something isn't right when you sell your cpu for 8 times more than the competition you are neck and neck with (if you factor in overclocking there are $80 cpus that can give you about the same performance). It really is too bad that they dont make mac osx for pc, then you would have the best of both worlds. The best os mixed with the best hardware and for the cheapest price.

OP
witeshark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
All very resonable points. But remember that it's all about the OS. Only rad video editing needs the dual G5 I think... So the OS can be had in the less costly eMac G4 and a very efficient Mac work and pricewise! :)

D

d4rr3n

witeshark said:
All very resonable points. But remember that it's all about the OS. Only rad video editing needs the dual G5 I think... So the OS can be had in the less costly eMac G4 and a very efficient Mac work and pricewise! :)

Yeah definitely, the OS is the reason i am looking to get a mac for my next computer. It offers the security (not quite perfect but close) and peace of mind you cant get from running windows. While the stability problems of xp are vastly exaggerated (xp pro with sp1 and 1gb ram is as stable as any OS out there) the extreme security flaws are not. Despite being an avid gamer i have no problems with them not having many games or being a "gaming machine" (they do have SOF2 however, and that is EASILY :eek: the greatest multiplayer FPS EVER :D ) I have no problems with the pricing on the other macs or other products from apple (love my 40gb ipod), but their top of the line dual G5's prices are really mind boggling at this point in time considering some of the major limitations they come with and the extremely limited paths of advancement available to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
At WWDC03 there was the Dual G5 2Ghz and a dell dual xeon equivelant and it cost double almost :D

D

d4rr3n

Graeme43 said:
At WWDC03 there was the Dual G5 2Ghz and a dell dual xeon equivelant and it cost double almost :D

A xeon is not a desktop personal computer, it is intended to be used as a server. Also, the top of the line xeon costs $754.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Actually, Graeme43 is correct. Apple took a stock Dual 2 GHz G5($2,999) and bought a Dell Dual xeon with comparable specs.($4,000)

Needless to say, the G5 blew it out of the water...It couldn't even complete one of the tasks(eMagic)..(It froze)

OP
witeshark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The expected result when apps are run that can exploit the Mac performance :)

OP
witeshark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I saw for my first time a Powermac G5 in kernel panic. Nothing would work, not even force quit from the keyboard. All the fans were in a panic too -- running full blast, but still amazingly not noisy. So I powered it off and restarted it. It started up fine and I ran repair permissions and it found nothing. It is a single 1.6 G5 running 10.3.3 in the Apple store... Interesting ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.