New Dual G5 2.5

P

pmj

I just received my new dual G5 2.5 ghz and while I love how fast it is... there is an odd "revving" sound that happens on and off, randomly, while I use the computer... I've never heard this sound on any system I've used before -- it's not a fan (I can hear them go on and off -- the constant fan is fairly quiet) and it's not the DVD/CD drive...

A friend thinks it's the pump that circulates the liquid 'coolant' that surrounds the chips in this model...

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

p.s. I ran the hardware test and everything seems to be working fine -- I'm on OS 10.3.4 etc.

p.s.s. It just went off again as I write this -- it sounds like a wind-up toy! Could it just be the way this thing sounds???

OP
L

llaamaboy

pmj said:
I just received my new dual G5 2.5 ghz and while I love how fast it is... there is an odd "revving" sound that happens on and off, randomly, while I use the computer...

p.s.s. It just went off again as I write this -- it sounds like a wind-up toy! Could it just be the way this thing sounds???

I am just days away from ordering a dual 2.0 G5 so it hurts me to even say this .... call apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
OP
S

specops1526

Just got my new 2.5 on friday. So far so good. Mine's quiet as a mouse, knock on wood. Call apple.

OP
P

pmj

in it goes...

specops1526 said:
Just got my new 2.5 on friday. So far so good. Mine's quiet as a mouse, knock on wood. Call apple.

I just got off the phone with Apple...

And guess what... They have no idea what it is, but it's not "normal.''

I have to take it in tomorrow...

ugh.

OP
S

specops1526

Mine does "Rev Up" when it comes out of sleep mode if that's what you mean. Almost like an engine. plus the occasional hard drive spinning noises, but much quieter than my other computers. Let us know what the verdict is.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
i have yet to notice anything like that but i would acutally think it is normal being a former G5 user. The novelty wares off after awhile. I do love the G5 though. Just i like my mobility. NO STRINGS ATTACHED kind of thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.