• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New displays :D

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
i seen the old ones again.. now i think they are the best i've every seen too :)

don't forget tiger preview page on the Mac OS X tab on apples site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Dual DVI's for 30" Oh Man! How you power a dual setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Kind of disappointing though.. I was hoping for some serious stuff.. and surprises.. none of this was really a surprise :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
wow!!!!!!!!
that display is eye-popping!!!!!!!!!!
and tiger looks soooooooo cool too.

W

WilliS

im actually kinda upset...no longer can i afford a powermac if i wanted to buy one...

did they discontinue the old ones? because a starting display at $1,200 should put them out of business for all im concerned... that is NOT reasonable... they need a 17inch at $500 again.....no one needs a 30 inch display... 23 is huge...

*edit* i guess they are keeping the 17inch..but wont make it in the cool brushed aluminum design...oh well..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Also, they're DVI now...it appears that ADC is dead. Moving to an industry standard is nice, and you can get DVI-to-ADC adapters, but I personally would have liked to see dual connectors, especially switchable dual connectors. I had a Dell flat panel that had both DVI and VGA, and that was helpful at times.

WilliS said:
*edit* i guess they are keeping the 17inch..but wont make it in the cool brushed aluminum design...oh well..

I'm glad they kept it...but would it have killed them to bring the price down $50-$100 or so?

Never mind. Silly of me.

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm dissapointed... :(

im a saaaad guy :(

maybe next time :D there will be double stuff to make up for it

P

PowerbookG417

how can anyone be dissapointed...i hear you sayin that..but here goes apple again breaking new grounds....high definition monitors...and 30" ohhhh *drooling*...all i can say is that the saving has begun ... now their only 4,200 something..but it will come

aboslutly amazing....apple does it again....plus the old monitors never matched the rest of the product line...everything else is aluminum except the ibooks and imacs but they have their own monitor...

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the 30" looked almost as big as steve as he stood beside it... lol :D I WANT!!!!! 0 chance of getting though :( wouldn't be able to afford a mac to use it on for about 30 years after buying one

D

d4rr3n

I have to agree with that. How can you not be impressed by that 30" lcd. I mean 2560x1600 resolution and a 16ms response time. Even for $3200 it's great. The edges of the monitor are much thinner than before and they improved the tilting mechanism on it 1000%. This is worlds better than their last generation of lcd's, dunno how anyone can be disappointed....it is very expensive though but it comes with the territory. :D

N

Nightblade

I have three questions:

1. When do these come out (I obviously won't buy one due to the enormous price and the fact that I wouldn't be able to use it [since I don't have any PowerMacs], but I'm just curious anyway)

2. Does this mean that there's a price drop on the monitors they now have?

3. Who the **** would pay this kind of money for a monitor!? I know it's LCD, humongous, beautiful, and ergonomic, but $1300 for a monitor is WAAAY too much, and that's the CHEAPEST one! People always talk about how Apple's computers are expensive, but the prices of the monitors are even more outrageous! It seems that Apple wants to say that "these aren't just monitors, they're displays. Because they call them a different name, they can attract more people since idiots won't think they're paying that much money for just a monitor. But they are. So, yeah, don't people agree that these prices are outrageous?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. The Apple Store quotes "2-4 weeks" before shipping the 20", and "August" for the 30" model.

2. No. :mad: At least, not for the 17", which they're still selling for US$699. You might find some of the outgoing 20" and 23" models at closeout prices from other retailers, though. (But those are so out of style now. You'd look like a dork with one of those on your desk :cool: )

3. Agree 100%. Apple seems to see displays as another way to increase it's profit margin, rather than an accessory for the core product.

You can get good third-party "displays" for less. (OTOH, Sony's 23" 1900x1200 widescreen is $2600...$600 more than Apple's.)

D

d4rr3n

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I'm a bit impressed. That 30 may be a lot -- but its appproaching theater size I think!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Fairly unpractical. Way too expensive. Outrageously sexy. Typically Apple.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Put those two 30 inchers side by side, and it's 8.2 million pixels.
I think I'm having a seizure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah they look nice, they would be awesome to have, but that price? ugh.. Im afraid I will never own an Apple "display" I just can't afford one.. and if I could? I would buy another computer. I'll end up getting a cheap monitor one day to go along with my laptop, but until that day.. my little 15" lcd screen on my laptop works for me! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.