New disks (Tiger install) from Apple Care and I cannot use them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP, Win8Dell, Win7DellLaptop, 2003GatewayXP, Nexus9, AndroidSonyZ3
Hello:
I have an iMac with a single empty partition created by disk util. I received in the mail today the 4 CD set of 10.4.3 Tiger install disks. I insert install Disk 1 and start the machine with 'C key' held during the startup chime.

And I get the gray screen with the flashing question mark folder. Some how I was thinking that it would boot and start the install program. Silly me.

Any ideas on how to boot this mac and get the install start_edd?

TIA

BTW - I have verified that my hardware is all good. I cannot find anything on Apple support about doing an install with the 4 CDs version of Tiger install. I used my 10.6 install DVD to bring up disk utility and do the partition. This is the only Mac computer I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What iMac model is it that you have??

It seems you used your "10.6 install DVD to bring up disk utility and do the partition", so it can run 10.6.x, but it may not even be able to run 10.4.x.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums

BTW - I have verified that my hardware is all good. I cannot find anything on Apple support about doing an install with the 4 CDs version of Tiger install. I used my 10.6 install DVD to bring up disk utility and do the partition. This is the only Mac computer I have.

You can not install an earlier version of OS X on your Mac than what your Mac originally shipped with. If your Mac originally came with Leopard or Snow Leopard for example, you can not install Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can not install an earlier version of OS X on your Mac than what your Mac originally shipped with. If your Mac originally came with Leopard or Snow Leopard for example, you can not install Tiger.

Generally speaking but excepting those times that they stop including a compatible earlier OS X version install right after the release of a newer OS X which they do install. My mid-2011 27" iMac for example, that was purchased after the release of Mac OS X Lion, Initial release date of July 20, 2011, and the compatible SL 10.6.7 was not included or installed. They eventually sent me a SL copy as their advertising said it was compatible. ;)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
History of this issue

Hi guys and gals and thank you for your questions.
:Cool:
All things being even Tiger is the original OS for my 5,1 late 2006 iMac with a core 2 duo intel and 4GB ram. According to Apple Care which is why they sent me the Tiger install disks. But the disks do not boot on startup and I was asking if there was a workaround.

It is the weekend so I cannot call Apple Care and decided to ask here.

THE REST OF THE STORY:
:Blushing:
I bought this a year ago and it had a clean install of Leopard with the DVD. I then ordered a Snow DVD a few moths later and upgraded. I even have a Time Machine backup of Snow to get from the 10.6.3 disks to 10.6.8 for upgrading to Lion.

This has all happened under guidance of my Senior Support Tech at apple care. And it started when I was trying to upgrade from Snow to Lion which failed.

First tech said I needed to wipe my drive using Snow's DVD and then re-install Snow and then upgrade to Lion as it was felt an earlier upgrade had created a recovery partition that was interfering. I did that and then Snow would not install. The machine came to me with Leopard on it.

All the failed installs seem to point to the same thing: the installer cannot find or load some package. according to the logs.

On my second go around with Apple Care the Senior Support Tech said the issue now is that the original operating system was Tiger and because I had an empty partition and no recovery partition I would need to install Tiger first, then upgrade to Snow through all the steps and then my Lion install would work.

OH, Boy! The only reason I am continuing on this quest is because I am new to Apple and I really am learning a lot about OS X, intel iMacs and the inner workings of these lovely machines.

BTW, I can run Linux from a CD and/or USB on here quite nicely.
My family are simple computer users without and major power/production needs.
Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On my second go around with Apple Care the Senior Support Tech said the issue now is that the original operating system was Tiger and because I had an empty partition and no recovery partition I would need to install Tiger first, then upgrade to Snow through all the steps and then my Lion install would work.

I don't know who told you that at Apple, but it's not true. A retail version of Snow Leopard 10.6.X will install OK. Recovery partitions did not exist when Snow Leopard was first deployed. Lion was the first version of OS X to have a recovery partition.

I suspect they may have sent you the wrong CDs of Tiger. OS X install disks are model specific. According to Mactracker your model iMac originally came with either 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 installed. I would not bother with Tiger and instead install Snow Leopard. As I stated above, Snow Leopard does not need a recovery partition. And, you really probably don't want to run anything later than Snow Leopard on that machine anyway.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the exact error when installing Snow happens near the end of the approximately 30 minute install. And the logs state: "cannot copy necessary support files" one try was BaseSystem.pkg and one try was Essentials.pkg both of which sound like important files.
No one is offering me any alternative paths to get these installed. I will have time to call Apple Care Monday or Tuesday and report back what they say. I suspect they want to claim my imac/software is too old and not supported. I wonder what people do with an older imac that seems fine but suddenly does not want to install software that was running on it yesterday?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you run a verify on the hard drive you're trying to install Snow Leopard on? It sounds like the drive might have errors. Boot the machine with the Snow Leopard disk as before but instead of installing, go to the top menu and choose "Utilities", then select "Disk Utility". Highlight your hard drive, choose first aid and then run a verify on the drive. If it comes back with errors, go ahead and let it do repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know who told you that at Apple, but it's not true. A retail version of Snow Leopard 10.6.X will install OK. Recovery partitions did not exist when Snow Leopard was first deployed. Lion was the first version of OS X to have a recovery partition.

I suspect they may have sent you the wrong CDs of Tiger. OS X install disks are model specific. According to Mactracker your model iMac originally came with either 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 installed. I would not bother with Tiger and instead install Snow Leopard. As I stated above, Snow Leopard does not need a recovery partition. And, you really probably don't want to run anything later than Snow Leopard on that machine anyway.

+1. But they are usually pretty good about sending the correct install disk versions but who knows with those "support" comments.

I'd also agree with installing SL 10.6.x on that iMac but it's RAM may need to be upgraded regardless, especially if it has the default 512MB RAM installed. ;)

And I'd also try doing the install onto an external drive seeing that the internal is being a bit stubborn.

And BTW: Apple Care is open, at least here in Canada, and provides priority access to Apple's senior technical support staff by telephone 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. So you don't have to wait until Monday to call. :Blushing:

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here to try install again :)

Hello, long weekend for me with meetings. I have an external drive and I will do the verify on the existing internal drive. Some days are better than others, let's hope this is one of them.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

Kind regards, eddacker

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SUCCESS, **** that feels good. External drive and SL is up and running. Amazing. Never had any problems with the HDD and it verifies perfectly. Go figure. So, I am either changing drives or repairing this one. Maybe I will buy an SSD?

Nah! I save the SSD money for something else.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
SUCCESS, **** that feels good. External drive and SL is up and running. Amazing. Never had any problems with the HDD and it verifies perfectly. Go figure. So, I am either changing drives or repairing this one. Maybe I will buy an SSD?

Congrats!
And, 500GB SSD can be had for under $200. Nice upgrade for an older machine.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQA6M5Y/?tag=macforums0e4-20

The 240GB is only $99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

So the suggestion to install onto the external drive worked it seems. Nice!!

If you're going to keep using the internal drive I'd suggest you use Disk Utility to do a nuke & pave on it:
Erase it completely and make sure the correct Mac format is selected and don't forget to use the optional one-pass secure erase or zero-out option which will also map out any bad sectors and prevent them from being used.

But the purchase of a new replaceable drive is always a good idea. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.