New battery still in box for a year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
Can I switch the battery on my 15 in laptop, 10.15.5. if the battery I bought a year and few months ago?? Or is it no good anymore. keep it in warm place

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The battery is likely discharged after this time, so you will have to charge it all up before you can use it.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The battery is likely discharged after this time, so you will have to charge it all up before you can use it.

So it still good then

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah, the batter is likely in deep discharge, but no reason it shouldn't charge up again. I would charge to 100% before unplugging the power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Lithium batteries start to degrade about two years after manufacture, regardless of use (or non-use). So your 1+year old battery is getting close to that two year point. The degradation is slow, at first, so you probably won't notice it, but eventually that battery will fail that much sooner after being put into service. Not to worry about it, just be aware of it. And if you mean "hot" when you say "warm" that can shorten the life as well. Batteries like 60 degrees fahrenheit, 15 celsius for storage. They are petty temperature tolerant, as long as it doesn't get really hot or cold.

All that said, go ahead and use it, it should give a good number of years and cycles before you see any issues with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would say that it all depends on what kind of battery Ron purchased. Was it from Apple or OWC? Or, an eBay knock off?

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say that it all depends on what kind of battery Ron purchased. Was it from Apple or OWC? Or, an eBay knock off?

Yes from OWC. Another question. can I put that battery into computer then charge it

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes from OWC. Another question. can I put that battery into computer then charge it

Yes. And a battery from OWC should be of good quality.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area (Notebooks).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It’s hard to answer your question without knowing if it had a charge while it was “stored”. Lithium batteries can be put into storage and keep their battery longevity as long as they have around 70-80% charge when initially put away for storage. You never want to put a battery into storage with a full charge, and a battery that is stored with no charge will cause damage to the battery. It definitely not be good after a year. Even after a year, a battery that was stored with 70% charge should still be good if it is not connected to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. And a battery from OWC should be of good quality.

I replaced the battery yesterday, surprised when I test it before screwing back the back cover and saw it was 27%.. Everything works great. I ran the battery down to 0 then let it sit overnight and charged back too in am. will do that one more time.. then its set

Thats for your replies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran the battery down to 0 then let it sit overnight and charged back too in am. will do that one more time.. then its set
May I recommend that you not do that? Lithium batteries do not like being discharged all the way to 0. Doing that shortens the life of the battery. Keep lithium batteries between 40-80% at a minimum.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
May I recommend that you not do that? Lithium batteries do not like being discharged all the way to 0. Doing that shortens the life of the battery. Keep lithium batteries between 40-80% at a minimum.

Oh really, thanks for your advised. I keep mine plug in all the time..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That recommendation is not for battery health, but for calibration of the software reporting battery remaining. It's not good for the battery, but they don't really care about that, they want their software to be accurate so users don't complain.

From Battery University online: Premature Voltage Cut-off - Battery University

A deep discharge to empty followed a full charge would cause undue stress for the Li-ion.

Reaction score
That recommendation is not for battery health, but for calibration of the software reporting battery remaining.

Precisely, as I stated in my post. Thought that’s what the OP was trying to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the OP had already run the battery to 0 and charged it, so it is calibrated. No reason to repeat the process.

Reaction score
But the OP had already run the battery to 0 and charged it, so it is calibrated. No reason to repeat the process.

Ok, I took your previous post to the OP as saying he shouldn't have done it at ALL (based on your reply here, I now see you meant to refer to his repeat drain, not the initial one), that's why I posted the clarification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, it was targeted at the repeat he said he planned to do.

That said, personally I see zero need for any calibration run at all. Just use the battery and in the course of use you will eventually end up with the battery going very low, which will then calibrate the software. I rarely use the battery, so I don't need to know if I'm at 48%, or 24%, or whatever. When I do use the battery because I have to, I just use it until it warns me it's about to die or until I can get it back on mains, whichever comes first.

But I guess if you really want a well-calibrated battery meter, and if you don't care about abusing the battery a bit, you can do a calibration run.

Different folks, different strokes...

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did it for Calibration, and was supposed to do 2 times but I did it once and think it should be ok, dont want to do it agin as per MacInWin's advice...Thank for all the replies, always learn something here, love this site, Thank You

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.