New 8-core arrived today...

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to using Apple computers (I've been using Apples since 2003 or so). My last G5 was a quad 2.5Ghz PPC with a Tb of disk space and 8Gb RAM. Today, it was replaced with a new 8-Core Intel based Mac Pro with 3Tb of disk space and (gulp) 1Gb of RAM (until my order from Crucial gets in tomorrow).

Every apple computer I've owned has been run as a server (OSX Server) 24x7 for vBulletin forums, web pages, and (on the non-server side) for video work (I take underwater video and photographs as a hobby.

I'm installing the universal version of Final Cut Studio now... and tomorrow when the RAM arrives from Crucial, I'll run some benchmarks on rendering to see if this machine is any quicker in the video processing area. Regardless of whether or not it is substantially faster, it will ultimately be able to handle the server loads placed on it better than the machine it replaced (which could hit server loads of 4+ during peak web usage while I'm rendering).

My initial impression of the new 8-core is that it is no more or less well built than any other Apple product I've ever used... I like the dual superdrives and 4 hard drive slots as well as the additional interfaces on the front of the computer.

Until I get more RAM in tomorrow, I won't be able to provide any real data on performance... but I'll update this thread after I do some rendering jobs tomorrow.

I'll post some more impressions as time goes by... hopefully this machine is as reliable as all my other Apple machines (only a single hard drive failure in the past 4 years or so).

Standby for more.

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Congratulations, i do envy you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Congrats, you are the luckiest man alive!

I am hoping to get on eventually, but probably will get a graphics card for my quad instead. the quad is dong well enough for now.

OP
J
Reaction score
A large part of me knows that this machine is overkill even for what I do... even though it serves up three fairly large mysql databases for vBulletin and I do some video processing for my underwater videos... by and large; a machine like this isn't necessary.

That being said... I am a geek engineer who loves computers... I have Sun Ultra 80 quad processor machine running some websites and of course, this new Apple. I've played with sparc station 20s in my past and even had a quad processor sparc-station 20 at one time. There is something about multiple processors and the speed that you can work at when you have a half a dozen applications open and running at the same time and every one of them is running at full speed with no delay.

When apple produces a 16 core machine... I'll probably get one just for the fun of it :)

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
A large part of me knows that this machine is overkill even for what I do... even though it serves up three fairly large mysql databases for vBulletin and I do some video processing for my underwater videos... by and large; a machine like this isn't necessary.

That being said... I am a geek engineer who loves computers... I have Sun Ultra 80 quad processor machine running some websites and of course, this new Apple. I've played with sparc station 20s in my past and even had a quad processor sparc-station 20 at one time. There is something about multiple processors and the speed that you can work at when you have a half a dozen applications open and running at the same time and every one of them is running at full speed with no delay.

When apple produces a 16 core machine... I'll probably get one just for the fun of it :)

Joe

I will probably get one next time they upgrade machines. be it 16 processors or even a higher clock speed. I just want to hold out since this is suiting me just fine, when I get a new computer I want it to wow me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I really really really hate you friend.......

OP
J
Reaction score
Here you go... taken fresh this morning :)

Here you go!

worthfp5.gif

DSC07743.jpg

DSC07739.jpg

DSC07741.jpg

DSC07742.jpg

DSC07744.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
congrats on your purchase and nice pics !

what r u doing with ur G5 ?

OP
J
Reaction score
Selling it. I have it listed in our for sale forum and it goes up on eBay in 15 minutes. I'll post the link in the for sale forum as soon as the auction starts. If you are interested in the quad, shoot me an email to [email protected]

Joe

congrats on your purchase and nice pics !

what r u doing with ur G5 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks for the pictures Joe West!

Anyone who has ever built their own PC or tinkered around in the "guts" at all will appreciate just how beautifully Apple designs the insides of these machines. They are a work of art. So neat and well laid out. No dangling wires, no mess, no clutter. Beautiful job of mechanical engineering.

Joe West, enjoy!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Thats the config i wanna get!, but with 5gb ram instead...

OP
J
Reaction score
I use final cut studio and found that when rendering large clips, I'd hit virtual memory (hard disk) and things would slow down considerably (Activity Monitor would show Page Outs).

I'm hoping this doesn't happen with 8Gb... so far... so good.

Joe

Thats the config i wanna get!, but with 5gb ram instead...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.