New 2014 rMBP - slightly loose black hinge cover

Reaction score
I received a new 2014 rMBP yesterday. I noticed that when the machine is closed I am able to move the black hinge cover very slightly. I can only do it when touching in the middle of the cover.

I have seen reports of a loose cover issue primarily on 2012 vintage machines. I'm wondering whether what I noticed is within normal specs, or whether this is an issue I should address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I received a new 2014 rMBP yesterday. I noticed that when the machine is closed I am able to move the black hinge cover very slightly. I can only do it when touching in the middle of the cover.

I have seen reports of a loose cover issue primarily on 2012 vintage machines. I'm wondering whether what I noticed is within normal specs, or whether this is an issue I should address.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I have an 'early' 2013 rMBPro - just closed the top and have virtually no movement back to front or side to side. You did not give you location, but if an Apple store is nearby, then make an appointment w/ the Geniuses or contact Apple - assume that you've already registered the laptop? Good luck - Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.